• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was I getting screwed? Tranny question

bannind

Ok,
(302/c4-74)
So a few months back I go ahead and decide to change the tranny filter because I wasn't sure when the PO had changed it previous to me. Tranny was running fine at the time, other than a hard shift from park into reverse (I should have left well enough alone). After changing the filter and putting it all back together, I started getting some weird slippage when the tranny would go from 1 to 2 - it should shift to 2nd then it would shift back down to first like I was cranking on the gas, then back up to 2nd where it belongs. Fluid and everything was ok, so I just took it into a tranny shop and they did an inspection on it, they stated that 'it's just getting old' and I need to pay a minimum of $300 to have them pull it out and check it all over, of course it could be more than that, but $300 was where it would start. What bugged me was the mechanic wouldn't be very specific with what he felt was wrong with it, he threw out very vague diagnosis terms. Over all I really thought he was just trying to bs his way into some work. In the end as part of the 'inspection' they tightened up some belts and hammered out the pan so the gasket wouldn't leak. I realize and accept the fact that the tranny is getting old, but I thought the tech should have been able to give me a little bit better of a description on the problem. Also when I balked on doing any work on the C4, because I thought I might want to put an AOD in it, he went off on how there was no way I was going to put an AOD in a Bronco (which automatically pissed me off and convinced me it was time to leave.) If I pick up an 90 or so AOD and the rebuild kit along with the AA/D20 adapter, how much time should it take a skilled mechanic to go through the tranny and put on the AA adapter? I realize that there are variables, but I am just looking for a ballpark so I can do the math myself to see if someone is trying to back door me. Also, how many hours should it take a skilled person to go through the C4? I have a couple of mechanics that I like, but the trust isn't totally there. I know I can take out the C4, take it too a shop for them to work on, and then put it back in - of course with the help of beer and buddies, so I am trying to decide if that would just be the best course for the time being. Oh and regular use is maybe 20 miles twice a week while I am in town (work sends me away from home quite a bit) and I have no intention of crawling at the moment because it just isn't my cup of tea..

thanks,
dan

RT

Bronco Guru
You did get the spring and check valve back in OK when you put the new filter in , right ??

Without those in place , things don't work well.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

I am almost positive, but I will recheck that. Though I will feel real stupid if it is just that.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
My 77 was shifting just like that after running fine for a few yrs. It would shift back and forth if just normal driving, but would shift fine if I got on it. The modulator had gone bad and I was sucking fluid into the vacumn line. A $20 modulator fixed mine.

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
RT said:
You did get the spring and check valve back in OK when you put the new filter in , right ??

Without those in place , things don't work well.

Exactly what I was thinking. Modulator is a good fix to, and easy to do.

AOD, I'm having an AOD built right now for my Bronco. Really is only going to take the guy a couple of days to build it but over the next week or so.

On the tranny guy, did he look at anything or just start it and say yep we need to pull it. If it was the later, I would doubt his troubleshooting ability.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

As for the shop guys, there will actually 2 - an old man (who actually test drove it, hoisted it up, fixed pan gasket and pretty much did all the work) and a middle aged chain smoking guy, who seemed more interested in going outside on the curb to have a cigarette with his girlfriend than talking to me about my tranny. As soon as I started asking questions of the old guy, he point blank said he wasn't sure (which I liked, because I like it when someone is willing to say they don't have a clue instead of starting the bs) and that is when he called over the other guy who was obviously inconvienced by my presence.

I replaced the vacumn modulator when I originally did the filter, but I am thinking I might have put the spring and retainer in wrong. Using the attached drawing from the Greater Idaho Art School, does the retainer go above or below the spring - with the 'tit' up or down.

Also, is it possible to replace the o-ring that is sealing the fluid in from the area where the kickdown cable enters the C4, or do you have to remove alot of stuff to stop the tranny from leaking there?

thanks,
dan

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 28

BabyBlue69

bannind said:
Ok,
(302/c4-74)
If I pick up an 90 or so AOD and the rebuild kit along with the AA/D20 adapter, how much time should it take a skilled mechanic to go through the tranny and put on the AA adapter?

The transmission shop that installed my adapter had my transmission a couple of weeks, although once he started on it he was finished in about a day and a half. There were some worn out parts he replaced while he was in there.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

ok - now I am pissed. I was down doing a little checking underneath and I discover...

my vacumn modulator which is a dual diaphram, has had one of the vacumn lines removed and plugged. As you can see in the attached picture. I moved the vacumn line out from the hiding spot it was in next too the crossmember. I suspect that this could be causing some of the shifting issues?

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
bannind

bannind

I got the pin in - the more I think about it I am almost positive that the problem is with my 'reinstallation' of the spring and plunger above the filter. How exactly does that go back in? Does the plunger piece go on top of the spring?

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
bannind said:
I got the pin in - the more I think about it I am almost positive that the problem is with my 'reinstallation' of the spring and plunger above the filter. How exactly does that go back in? Does the plunger piece go on top of the spring?

Rod then spring then filter... wish I could help you more.

check here: http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=13

this is a C4 specific forum.