• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was this a factory option or back woods invention

Air Hog

Is this a good indication that the radiator is not stock, owner said motor was a transplant, 302in a 68 U15

Attachments

• Sept2010a 298.jpg
    Sept2010a 298.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 320

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That tank is stock for 67-68 V8's I believe. The bungee cord however is aftermarket!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what engine the would go with , but they did have them at some point.

The 68 trail beater I bought has one.

OP
OP
Air Hog

Air Hog

tank

This is how you fill the radiator there is no cap were the cap should be on the radiator, kinda thought this wasnt the right setup, it org had a 289 would it have been on the 289 ??? or it could be a homemade still, havent found the copper coil yet

krisbassett

my 67 had one also. It finally developed a split and I had the radiator shop put a filler neck on my radiator......much better!!

barronj

Bronco Guru
From the bungee, the exposed air filter element, and a few other things, I bet you're cursing that PO regularly..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Old-time name was a "surge-tank" (and burp-tank) and it was typically installed in vehicles where the manufacturer felt that a cap in the top of the radiator was not sufficiently high enough to be considered the highest point in the system. The thinking was that it was needed to keep air pockets out of the system.
Probably put on the earliest Broncos due to the taper of the hood making the designers think that, even though a cap in the radiator WAS the highest point in the system, that it was too borderline and they needed the extra insurance of mounting the cap farther back, where the hood was a tiny bit higher.
After a couple of years, and probably a few arguments in-committee by the penny-pinchers in the group, I guess they decided that it was close enough to put it in the radiator after all.

And although it does work, anybody who'd changed their coolant often enough has probably run into minor issues with air in the system. I regularly had to aim the Bronco uphill while idling after a change, to get it to burp properly.
Some of the later model Mustangs dealt with that issue with a small air-bleed valve right on top of the engine that you had to loosen while filling.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, friend's dad's '66 Mustang had one too, if I remember. Hmm, or maybe it was his brother's '60-something Galaxie?

Paul

Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
All the big block factory race prepped cars like the thunder bolt or cobras came with these even when the radiator had a cap just like stated this is a degas tank or expansion it serves two purposes to get all the air out of the system and it adds a Little more capacity to the system they work really well when maintained properly just like all cooling system

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Degas! That was the other name I was trying to think of.
Thanks guys.

Paul