• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was there a "factory" roof rack?

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did a search on here and I found some say yes, and at least one said no, they were all dealer installed.

Thanks, still trying to learn.;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just like air conditioning.

Never factory. But sometimes dealer installed before first sale.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, so was it an item available from Ford? Like a cold air intake for a Mustang today is available from Ford Performance, and my local Ford dealership will install it if you want them to.

What I'm getting at is - would the one installed by a dealer in Ca "look" the same as one installed by a dealer on the east coast, because they were ordering them from a Ford (over the counter) parts catalog.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Sometimes dealers would use station wagon racks too. File a warranty clAim on one on the lot then Use the replacemnt for a bronco. Doesnt cost them a thing. Lol. Had a long time family friend that was a gm for the local ford dealer from the 60’s to the late 90’s. Hes full of stories and stuff they did at the dealership back in the day

KeithKinPhx

My 68 has a roof rack. Clearly not stock. Not on the Marti report and that lists all the extras including the courtesy light.

Installation is clearly a hack job. The sheet metal screws pushed the roof support rib away from the skin and bent the rib.

Would love to know what wagon the rack came off of. Actually stylish in an era appropriate way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I always kind of liked them. More of a love/hate thing, but more lovin' than hatin' on my side.
Knew that off-road they would likely catch on tree branches and I might find myself one cold night looking for my sleeping bag that mysteriously was found hanging from a tree half a trail down hill and being used by squirrels!

Always wanted one in spite of that worry, but some were just not that correct looking. Kind of like yours is sounding with the feet maybe not sitting on the same curve as the top?
Some just looked perfect though, and would love to find one.
My '68 had one originally when Doug got it. He tossed, or sold it though long before I came along.

Paul