• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding on the Bronco Advice

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In re-doing my suspension I am installing a set of front shock hoops. I have them bolted up to the front spring towers and tack welded to the frame. I need to finish welding them up but had a question. I have my old Lincoln AC 225 amp stick welder and I have a small wire welder that plugs into a 110V wall receptacle and uses flux core wire. Will the wire feed welder with the flux core wire be enough to weld them up properly or would it be better to use the stick welder?

Last edited:

Dne007

Contributor
I would say no, think of the beating those hoops are going to take, the welds need to be solid with very good penetration. I have a 175amp mig that I would trust, but I don't like mig with flux anyway.
dne'

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was always fairly impressed with how much penetration a little Miller 120V welder could attain with flux-core wire, so I wouldn't have any issues with it, especially if we assume that your bump stops are located correctly for your application. I'm pretty sure my CAGE long-arm radius arm mounts were welded with the same 120V Miller welder, but with hardwire, and no issues after more than 15 years. Plus, if you look at the failure mode, what's the worst thing that could happen? You break the shock hoop off the frame and it's still driveable, still steers, still stops...sounds low risk to me.

Nothing against stick welding it...get a fast-freeze rod and go to town. My front hoops were installed by a PO and had a huge 1" weld bead holding them on the frame. To say that they were overkill would be a bit of a understatement, gov'na.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I used my little 110v 140amp Lincoln MIG on my longer F250 front shock mounts. I was concerned too though and did a search like you. I learned you can preheat it with MAP gas for better penetration, and make sure you have a great ground as close as possible to the mounts... I've been rough on mine for years now, and it's holding up like a champ so far. I just have mediocre welding skills lol

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A 110V flux core welder can do the job. I have used them for welding trailer hitches in the past. Slow, takes a bit of work to get them to put the needed heat in. The last one I used was a HF invertor machine. Was doing some fence work with it. Surprised how much I had to turn it down. And it welded nice and smooth. At that was through 50' of average (undersized) extension cord.

I would say to get some scrap and do a few test welds and see if you are happy with the penetration of the flux core before you commit to using it.

Dne007

Contributor
I must be slightly paranoid. I use my ex-flux now gas 135amp .small wire for small things and my 175amp for larger things, but I use my 175amp for everything, from sheet metal to making my small gantry crane. I just don't want things to come back and bite my tiny butt! ;)

Dne007

Contributor
I bought my Systematics 175 YEARS AGO (early '90s model)! I paid 300 bucks with the large C25 tank. IT's been submerged by Harvey flood waters. I replaced the lead hose and gun, fan, and a relay and it still kicks butt! Kind of heavy to move around, not carry around! lol But I love it;) and funny enough, parts are still available!
dne'

Attachments

• Systematics mp175.jpg
    Systematics mp175.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 23

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
take no offense to this because i don't mean it that way. but i feel like if i had to ask this question then i shouldn't be relying on my welds for anything on a car.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
It will do the job. One trick I have used for heavy gauge welding is to heat up the metals with a torch and then weld them together. Old welder show me this trick.