• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH suspension

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
I am in the market for a new set of springs. WH is close and I wouldn't mind saving on shipping. Do their spring hold up well or do they sag prematurely? I've searched and heard alot of bashing on their products. I have had good results with them in the past , but never bought their springs. Is their stated spring hieght the same as others. I have an HP 44 front and I need the clearance for the front pinion. I dont care if they have the very best product, I just want on that will last. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. I need to buy soon to get rid of the superstiffs that I have now.

Oh yeah, I want a suspension that will handle rockcrawling, street driving, trails, mud, whatever. Just a good quality set of springs.

Thank

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I posted the same question a few days ago and only got a couple of replies with 2 recomendations for WH and no bashing. Hope you get some positive responses as I just placed my order last night. I know there are a lot of opinions on suspension out there but everyone seems to be mesmerized with "I bet I'm the only one ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25)" thread. Maybe you should have titled your request "Pictures of my new boob job. Are they too big?";D ;D ;D

Last edited:

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I have a Cage suspension lift on my Bronco and a Wild Horses on my son's, both systems are very good, but I like the Wild Horses best both on and off road.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I started with a WH kit. 3.5" with their rockcrawler coils and 11 pack springs.
Ran it for a good 4+ years with winch and wheeled it pretty hard No sag and excellent ride and flex. Broke one of the rear springs and needed quick replacements so I chose Deaver springs for the rear. they are also nice.

Think about what you carry; if you load down with a lot of gear and hard top you may want a larger spring in the rear.

There are many good vendors for springs but you can't go wrong with WH products IMO.

Call and talk to Mark at WH he'll help you get the the look you want.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've had WH 3 1/2 in rockcrawlers and 11 leaf springs for about 8 years now. Great flex and on-road ride quality. They're about the only things I can't get to rust on my bronco. I have not had any problems with them at all and would buy them again.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
WH ALL THE WAY!!!!
Their springs are progressive rate so they are great on the street and GREAT off road. had my lift on for 5 years and looks the same as the day as i put it on. (Camping, hard top, cruising, wheeling)

I dont think you can ever go wrong with WH.

OP
OP
S

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
Well I aint got a boob job, but my wife does if that helps (Sorry, no pics guys).

On another note- about the suspension. This is what I wanted to hear. I had BC springs on my last rig and loved them, but Chuck moved to Texas. I live a little over an hour away from WH, so that makes the shipping charge pretty light (price of fuel). I was just a little worried what with the horror stories that I've read about sagging or bent springs.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be buying local.

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
I have 3.5 W.H lift, for about 8 years. the front has a little sag. It used to sit level and now the front drops about 1/2 an inch. Which is no big deal. I would buy them again.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I aint got a boob job, but my wife does if that helps (Sorry, no pics guys).

On another note- about the suspension. This is what I wanted to hear. I had BC springs on my last rig and loved them, but Chuck moved to Texas. I live a little over an hour away from WH, so that makes the shipping charge pretty light (price of fuel). I was just a little worried what with the horror stories that I've read about sagging or bent springs.

I think my shipping charges came to about $125 UPS ground from WH to Colorado. That was for the whole kit. We're getting killed with these shipping costs on Bronco parts. I talked to a UPS pilot the other day. He said they can pay the entire cost of a flight with 2 shipping containers. His 757 carries 18. They are charging fuel sur charges while the company has them flying at max mach (.82) which burns a lot more fuel. All of the airlines are cranking it back to .72 or so to save on fuel. Getting passengers there on time is less important than getting box there on time. Sorry for the divergance.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I didn't care for my WH coil springs as they seemed to soft on road. I have been a consistent BC coil spring user for awhile now and think they are the best on and offroad. But you know opinions are like assholes.

BEn

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have WH leafs & they haven't sagged in the 4 years I have had them.

4.5" and I have 34" shocks that when I ramp it, the shocks stop the travel. If I unbolt my rear shocks, I can get another 4-5" up the ramp. I love mine. Smooth ride, never a problem with em.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I think my shipping charges came to about $125 UPS ground from WH to Colorado. That was for the whole kit. We're getting killed with these shipping costs on Bronco parts. I talked to a UPS pilot the other day. He said they can pay the entire cost of a flight with 2 shipping containers. His 757 carries 18. They are charging fuel sur charges while the company has them flying at max mach (.82) which burns a lot more fuel. All of the airlines are cranking it back to .72 or so to save on fuel. Getting passengers there on time is less important than getting box there on time. Sorry for the divergance.

Your ground shipping would cost a hell of a lot more to ship than $125 If it was not for the profit made on the Next day and 2nd day air Packages on that Piolts plane. The reason they don't slow down is because when a next day air package is late the shipper does not have to pay, when a passenger flight is late you still pay. UPS like all shipping companies makes the majority of the profit on Next Day Air and International Shipping. Thats what keeps the prices of ground shipping reasonable. The packages that travel by plane account for over 80% of the profit that UPS makes but make up less than 5 % of the total volume. Ground shipping just cover the overhead. If I sound biased, I am. I drive for UPS. Everyone likes to complain about shipping costs but there's not a cheaper way to do it and shipping is not a non-profit business.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas

Before you blow me off because I am in Texas you should check on the cost of getting stuff to you. If you are in CA you may pay less shipping but you also pay sales tax. Also sometimes the shipping is less anyway. One time I was coming out to CA so carriered a set of coils to Hesperia and shipped them to LA, cost $2 more than shipping from TX. I don't think that is the case most of the time but it only takes a min. to check and the call is free.

OP
OP
S

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
CHuck, I aint blowing you off. I had your springs on my last bronco and I loved em. I just figured with the price of fuel, shipping any distance was a killer. Do you have any idea what it would cost to ship a set of coil and leaf springs to the San Francisco bay area?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your ground shipping would cost a hell of a lot more to ship than $125 If it was not for the profit made on the Next day and 2nd day air Packages on that Piolts plane. The reason they don't slow down is because when a next day air package is late the shipper does not have to pay, when a passenger flight is late you still pay. UPS like all shipping companies makes the majority of the profit on Next Day Air and International Shipping. Thats what keeps the prices of ground shipping reasonable. The packages that travel by plane account for over 80% of the profit that UPS makes but make up less than 5 % of the total volume. Ground shipping just cover the overhead. If I sound biased, I am. I drive for UPS. Everyone likes to complain about shipping costs but there's not a cheaper way to do it and shipping is not a non-profit business.

Didn't mean to rag on UPS but shipping costs reguardless of being considered fair, cheap, gouged, reasonable, or ridiculous, are putting a real hurt on my project. I fly for Frontier and we have so much cut throat competition that we can't raise fares enough to stay healthy. I do wait with great anticipaton for that big brown truck to pull up infront of my house.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Moat of the sagging posts you heard about WH coils were from those of us that bought them 6-7-8 years ago. THey used to sag.
They fixed that problem a long time ago. BUT don't be mistaked. Every spring will sag, and 4 wheeling it only speeds up the time it takes to sag.

OP
OP
S

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
Yeah, I hear ya. There were just SOOO many of those posts, I was getting a little spooked.