• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What are my options for a quieter exhaust?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glass packs or 'Cherry bombs' are not mufflers..they are simply staright pipes with dmaping material along the length of them, so nothing is going to quiet those things down much.. I have some in a pile that came on various righs I've bought over the years. Dunno why I kept them...but then I dunno why I keep half the stuff I do.

VT_Don

I've replaced more Bronco exhausts then I can recall. Thirty years ago, glass packs were still popular but are now a very dated accessory. Having every cop, game warden, and jealous girl friend hear your constant whereabouts in a small town gets old.
My current build will use a 2 into one system much like the one from BC Broncos. Am planning for full stainless, with the biggest muffler that I can fit.
Glass packs have sort of assumed the same notoriety of mullets and rusty camaros.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Glass packs or 'Cherry bombs' are not mufflers..they are simply staright pipes with dmaping material along the length of them, so nothing is going to quiet those things down much.. I have some in a pile that came on various righs I've bought over the years. Dunno why I kept them...but then I dunno why I keep half the stuff I do.

Shit BMC, steel is $150 a ton here, well last week anyway

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i put a 2:1 muffler designed for a GMC envoy on one of the builds. SUPER quiet inside. it's about as big as you can get to package well under the truck.
ran WH long tubes to it in 2.5 and out the rr corner.

funny thing is the owner thinks it a bit loud. told him the next step is to take the engine out and fill up the bay with batteries....

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
i put a 2:1 muffler designed for a GMC envoy on one of the builds. SUPER quiet inside. it's about as big as you can get to package well under the truck.
ran WH long tubes to it in 2.5 and out the rr corner.

funny thing is the owner thinks it a bit loud. told him the next step is to take the engine out and fill up the bay with batteries....

That's funny Nick! You should be glad he wasn't a GREEN guy or he may have taken you up on it....lol..

I did a 2 into 1 and the biggest muffler they had. It looks like the ones that come stock.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I took my Bronco back to the Muffler shop 3 times before I got a sound I wanted to live with..I always wanted the 2 into 1 exhaust system.

vintage bronco

I've replaced more Bronco exhausts then I can recall. Thirty years ago, glass packs were still popular but are now a very dated accessory. Having every cop, game warden, and jealous girl friend hear your constant whereabouts in a small town gets old.
My current build will use a 2 into one system much like the one from BC Broncos. Am planning for full stainless, with the biggest muffler that I can fit.
Glass packs have sort of assumed the same notoriety of mullets and rusty camaros.
i am laughing my a** off at this one. HOW TRUE.

efossett

Loc.
Bakersfield
I had glass packs on a 67 when I lived in Humboldt....For those that dont know about Humboldt, it is very...liberal....to put it kindly....I loved the looks on on all the hippies faces when I rumbled through town....ahhh...good times....

bblue

Loc.
Canada
I have the long tube headers and just cut out the glasspacks.I installed cherry bomb turbos and have them dumping at the rear diff. if it is too loud on the street i will put the tailpipes back on, they exited behind the rear tires but were a bit low for me. it sounds good in the garage.

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
So is there something wrong with a mullet and a rusty Camaro??:?

You know, I was in a bar recently and there was a guy with a hard-core, real-live, mullet and the skinny 80s-style stache to boot. Everyone was just looking at the dude for a long time. Once somebody built up the liquid courage to walk up to him and say, "Hey, what's up with the haircut?" he became a rock star and EVERYBODY wanted their picture taken with him, including most of the women.

I don't know if he drove a rusty Camaro.

Jakedog

When I had my Bronco I ran headers off my 351w into 3" pipe, into a single flowmaster, and it exited before the right rear tire. It sounded awesome, and it was not too loud at all. I got a lot of compliments on the sound. I think the Flowmaster was a 40 series.

Last edited:

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
You know, I was in a bar recently and there was a guy with a hard-core, real-live, mullet and the skinny 80s-style stache to boot. Everyone was just looking at the dude for a long time. Once somebody built up the liquid courage to walk up to him and say, "Hey, what's up with the haircut?" he became a rock star and EVERYBODY wanted their picture taken with him, including most of the women.

Was his name joe dirt?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

It was me and I got the rust painted over on the Camaro!

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
If you are going to run a two into 1 magnaflow setup it will be just as loud or louder then flowmasters, they are just like a giant glasspack.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 100_0336.JPG
    100_0336.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0338.JPG
    100_0338.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 30