• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What headers are on your 351W?

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
Im in the market for headers and am wondering what brand all of you are running for your 351W's 393's 408's etc. How do they fit? How easy was the install and if you have it a part number would be great too. Thanks

74bronc

Bronco Guru
JBA shorties from Wild Horses. I think I paid 350 for them. The quality is fantastic, fit is good after fender well mod and they look great.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've got the chrome Torquer headers that Wild Horses sells. Less than $200 when I got them a couple years ago. Bought them when I had the 302, and reused them when I installed the 351. Install was easy enough from underneath with the clutch linkage removed. A couple minor modifications and they fit great.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What transmission are you running? That makes a difference on fit and suggestions.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Ford Motorsports Ceramic coated shorties, works well (granted I have an AOD, and not a manual). If I was to do it again I woudl probbaly go with some JBA's or others as the primaries and collector on the Ford's are smaller than the WH JBA shorties I used to have (Ford's collector is 2.25", JBA is 2.5").

CC135_inND

Loc.
Fayetteville, TN
I got L & L headers from JBG and I like them a lot. I haven't had any problems what so ever. Plus if the starter ever dies you can replace it with out droping the header. The routing is nice too. I can't remember what I paid that was like 3 years ago when I put them on. HTH.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Hooker wheel well headers there for the 289 but work well on the 351W Im on my second set since 74. There in a 66 with a 69 motor. I think this is the hooker #9814. And since it's wheel well it dosnt matter what trans you run good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Duff Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers

Fit perfect for my application. Makes loads of torque

392 Stroker 450HP
AOD auto
Extreme motor mounts

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Im running Hookers as well, bought them from Summit racing, i think for $170. Had some Dynomax Ceramic coated but they wouldnt clear my clutch linkage once i put the 351W in.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
70_Steve said:
I've got the chrome Torquer headers that Wild Horses sells. Less than $200 when I got them a couple years ago. Bought them when I had the 302, and reused them when I installed the 351. Install was easy enough from underneath with the clutch linkage removed. A couple minor modifications and they fit great.
what kind of mods?

blksn8k

I'm running a 393W with an NV3550 5-speed transmission and I used the L&L headers sold by Jeff's. The heads are iron World Products Roush 200's with 1.25" square exhaust ports. The headers have 14GA tubes and 1/2" thick flanges with an industrial type coating inside and out. I used the stock bellhousing and clutch linkage along with the adapters and tranny crossmember from Advance. I did have to modify the stock clutch linkage by shortening the bottom arm of the "Z" bar because it was hitting the header on that side. But, since I also switched to a Centerforce diaphragm style pressure plate I don't need as much force to disengage the clutch so the shorter arm didn't hurt a thing. The header collectors were amazingly aimed perfectly to allow the exhaust pipes to clear the new tranny crossmember. Everything works great, no leaks and lots of torque. :eek:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jerrod4567 said:
Im running a stock V-8 3 speed. Which will fit well with that tranny?
With the stock 3 speed, all you have to worry about is clearing the clutch linkage.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a rusty set of unknowns. I thought all of the stock manifolds were cast. Is that true? Mine are not cast but they do have fittings welded on the outside to take hot air to the intake. They are so ugly that I think they must be stock.

When putting headers on can you still used the flapper butterfly exhaust valve or will that have to be eliminated? I thinks I need that for emmisions compliance.

Jeff in AZ

vap13

I have Duff's long tube headers, the fit is good but install on passenger side with the AOD is tight.
Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
vap13 said:
I have Duff's long tube headers, the fit is good but install on passenger side with the AOD is tight.
Paul
I know about that tight fit with the AOD. That is why I ditched headers and went back to manifolds (ported K-codes to be exact).
But he is running a 3 speed manual, every header I know of for a bronco will clear that. The only issues will be the clutch linkage and the 351. I have run both Duff and Headman. I owned a set of 6909's for a few days, but had to send them back because they wouldn't clear my wide trans.
Just look at the discription, if it says it will work with a 351, then you are ready to go.