• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is my bronco's towing capacity?

patterdale

Bronco Guru
2000lbs is what ford recommended as max straight out of the owners manual. At least thats whats in my 1973 owners manual. basically saying that max tongue weight is 200 lbs. which can only be 10% of total trailer weight hence the 2000 lbs max. They also say that you must reduce your passenger compartment weight by that same 200lbs or whatever your tongue weight is during towing.

Thanks for the sane reply I went over the 1970 manual with a fine tooth comb and no mention of trailer towing.

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
What about flat towing a stock 77 Bronco with no engine, trans or transfer case?
So just a shell and axles.

I would be towing it with a 77 half cab EFI 5.0, C4, 4.56, 35's, power brakes, disk front.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
When I was young I flat towed my '74 behind my '72, across UT, during a snowstorm. It became apparent that this was an accident getting ready to happen at the first turn, which was 20 miles down the road. Even the straight sections of interstate were sketchy when the snow began to pile up. When that rear Bronco starts wagging it quickly causes the front one to start sliding sideways. Damn near had 2 wadded up Broncos in the ditch. Never try it.

Here's the page from the manual.

Attachments

• towing.JPG
    towing.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 51

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
2000lbs is what ford recommended as max straight out of the owners manual. At least thats whats in my 1973 owners manual. basically saying that max tongue weight is 200 lbs. which can only be 10% of total trailer weight hence the 2000 lbs max. They also say that you must reduce your passenger compartment weight by that same 200lbs or whatever your tongue weight is during towing.

This is also what the owners manual that came with my 74 says on page 40 for those that have the book. Not saying there isn't better choices out there.