• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what new mig welder would you buy???

paleo man

i am in the process of buying a new SMALL mig welder....i have been looking at lincoln machines....any body have any thoughts.....my budjet is around $400 to 700 dollars??....would like to get the most bang for the buck????paleo

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Get the Best Lincoln you can buy, you want one that you can run a tank with. Great Welder, actually made in America.

LTL4life

Loc.
The FROZEN TURDRA
How much are you wanting to spend and how much welding have you done?
Do you need a Miller or a Lincoln? For work on my bronco i spent $300.00 bucks on a Clarke 130 amp 120v mig welder system. Eastwood carries them for$439.00. comes with dual guage regulator to quickly convert to gas use. ive welded all of my bronco replacement panels with this unit and it works great. if i had extra money to burn i might have considered the other brand names but im happy with what i got

Dr. Bronc

Just bought a Lincoln 180. 230V. Lots of juice for thicker metals, cage, frame, etc. Happy with my purchase so far. Now to find an extension cord. ;)

Itsa67

My little Lincoln has served me well since 1994 with no problems. I only wish it was 220v but you can still do most projects with it. I vote for the best Lincoln that your budget allows.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have a Miller 210 model. My dad and I bought it with a budget of around $700, but we went ahead and spent another 350 to get it and while it was sort of a strain on the budget at first, it has really paid off getting the larger unit. But as Mad said the 175 is also a great unit.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I have a Hobart 187. I got it from Northern Tool. You can get them at Tractor Supply Company. I ahve used it for many small projects and it is good up to 5/16th but I bet you could get more out of it with a little skill. I had a 110 Sears deal before and I think I would be better off with a couple car batteries and a nickel.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
220V Miller 185
110V Miller 135

Name brand will get you parts in the future if you ever need them.
Name brand will hold it's value better when you sell it and get a bigger machine.
Name brand will sell easier when you decide to upgrade.

Good things, infinate voltage setting and gas shielding.

And Lincoln makes competitive machines. Red or Blue, both are good. Miller was the local dealer for me. Shop prices on the internet, never pay retail for these machines. Dealer prices are negotable, even if they say they are not.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
This will be my next one. Miller Syncrowave® 250 DX
Your title is: what new mig welder would you buy??? So this is my choice. I also have a Miller 175 and it is great for general goofing around

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas

Nice bax! :cool:

I'm running a Millermatic 251 and it does what I need. Welders are a lot like Air Compressors - save your $$$ and get the biggest you can afford. You say your budget is $400-700 - save a little longer and keep an eye out for a used rig. I bought mine from a guy who closed-up shop and needed the money. I paid $100 more than the top of your budget and got a full bottle of gas thrown in plus extra consumables and different size wire feed.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I bought a lincoln 175HD 220v and it so far has done everything I needed it to do. I bought a display model at LOWES that they had just put out because that was the only one in the store. Paid 580.00 I think? plus it came with a Bosch 4.5 grinder.

Ben

mike732

Loc.
Camden, Tennessee
I just went from a Clarke en150 which is a 220 to a new Lincoln 212 both are gas shielded but the lincoln welds so much easier and much better looking welds, plus I can get tips and other consumables at the local NAPA.. I will never fool with an off brand welder again go with a Lincoln or Miller you will be glad...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman

Same here, I almost bought it in 2006 after building Stan's rig but I ended up shipping my yellow77 and making a trip with my kids to the 40th at Victorville... I started a thread about it.

There is an older Millermatic 250 at the shop of the Co. I work for and that thing rocks! Funny that I'm the only one who uses it.

My 175 unit does almost all the duties now on the EB.
The addition of a TIG ac/dc HF (syncro 250DX) will be next.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I love my MM251.. But wanted to suggest to look at the Miller DVI.. Works on 110 or 220.. That way you can use it with 110, but switch to 220 for bigger stuff.. I almost got one of them... About $1100 if I remember.. The main reason I got the 251 is the ability to just plug in a spool gun for alum and add another bottle..

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I too just bought a Lincoln 180. Got it at Lowes for $650. I Considered it and the Miller, the biggest advantage to the comp. Miller is the auto wire speed, but it was $100 more so I went with the Lincoln. If you don't have a welding helmet yet, let me tell ya, get an auto darkening, don't waste money on anthing else (I learned that one the hardway).

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
One thing that is nice with my Lincoln which I am sure comes on other models? Is the ability to touch the spot to start welding without arcing until you pull the trigger. I have really gotten use to using it so am not as reliant on my auto darkening helmet.

Ben

brtxbronco

Contributor
I got a millermatic 180 220v on the net in your price range free shipping. I have been very happy with the welder