• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What radiator shroud for explorer serpentine and a 2" BL

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Lowering shroud? Lower radiator? What is deep enough for the serpentine clutch fan? I can't weld so no metal fab suggestions please.
Thanks
Jim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have a JBG fiberglass shroud on mine now. I intend to put it on my Champion reverse inlets/outlets rad. I figure its fiberglass and will be easy to modify. Was thinking of finding a sheet metal hoop or just flat sheet metal. Kind of rivet it to the fiberglass until I find a depth for the fan that works then glass it in.
Simple sheet metal drop brackets will keep the shroud in line with the fan.

WH has the Ron Davis aluminum shroud for 2" body lift but its pricey...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
At one time Ron Davis made shrouds for Broncos in various body lift and fan depths.

jagbucket

a 4.0l explorer radiator fits between the frame rails and can slide down . in my case with a 1inch bl i moved the radiator forward through the support and down to use stock explorer shroud, some welding was done. cutting stock brkts and bolting together might be possible but the fan wants to be 1/2 way into shroud for efficiency which is why i moved radiator fwd, even though im using explorer serp. i couldnt get the fwd spacing exact but shroud is centered on fan and im still using stock hood latch

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/17954/Bronco_Aluminum_Radiators

Here's the one that Bowsher referenced in his email. If you're not into fabbing something yourself, it's your best bet if you can stomach the price.

A little story on the development of this item. Years ago, I was on a run with some friends, including a friend that had recently swapped an Explorer engine into his truck (this was before they were common for swaps). We were parked along a trail which happened to be dusty and my friend's truck was idling. I noticed a lot of dirt/dust swirling around underneath his engine which told me that his fan was sucking drawing a lot of air from places other than through the radiator.

A short time later I did the Explorer swap on my truck and since my buddy Doug Schulz was the general manager at Ron Davis Radiators at the time and I was switching to their radiator, I inquired whether they might like to develop an Explorer swap shroud as a product for their portfolio (since I wanted one!). Doug agreed and they developed one, using my truck as a guinea pig.

A few years later I swapped in an Atlas and my 700R4 and needed a body lift (and a body lift fan shroud) - Doug was still working there at the time so they again used my truck as a guinea pig to develop the 2" BL version.

I've had to modify the mounting holes a few times as I've switched radiators as least twice since then, but it's still sitting in my truck out in the driveway right now.

Todd Z.