• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should I buy 33's or 35's street Bronco with 3:50 gears

tdog

I am working on a 69 Bronco. I am installing a stock 1983 mustang GT engine (Originally 175 Hp). With added rockers and headers. I will be running a original 3 spd stick trans and dana 20. 1" body lift 3.5 suspension lift. Rear flars and the front fenders not cut.

From what I gather from reading on this site that I am ok with the amount of lift. I am worried about the gearing between the 35's and 33's. I would like to go 35's but worried it will not be able to pull itself along? I have read the 33's are size of tire for the 3:50s for street driving and act as a good overdrive.

Going to order $1500 in tires and I wanted to know if you folks would share you opinions on buying 35's

Looking at the General Grabber's with the Red Letters - Good? Bad?

Thank you!!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

tdog

I should mention I will be running power disk brakes (Drums Rear) and stock Bronco power steering set up.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
With the 302 I would go 33's... If you had the 351 35's all the way....

Pics?:)

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 37/13/15 boggers

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think they are both bad choices. I would not run more then a 31" on 3.50 gears.
33" is a nice size. Easier on wheel bearings, ball joints and brakes. 33" is as big as I would recomend for a daily driver. For a toy, 35s. But they need the right gearing.

The overdrive effect is another way of saying overgeared for anything other then a flat straight road with no headwind. Overgearing is hard on clutchs and drives like garbage around town. You will probably get worse in town mileage as you are straining more from the lack of proper gearing.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
The overdrive effect is another way of saying overgeared for anything other then a flat straight road with no headwind. Overgearing is hard on clutchs and drives like garbage around town. You will probably get worse in town mileage as you are straining more from the lack of proper gearing.

While I'm in agreement with the above I run 35s with 3.50 gears on Gramps our gutless (for obvious reasons) wonder. Not concerned with mileage or performance. Top speed 93 (slight downhill no wind). Moves away quick enough from a stop sign. In my case I'm just not ready to commit to the gear change in the still needs to be smoged California 76.

As for opinions on tire size go with what you want (like the looks of) you can always change gears later. You get a feel for how big of a change the tire size has made provided you are used to driving the rig before the change. Good luck!

Jim

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn't see where ypu lived this can make a big diffrence, sea level with 3.50 gears is one thing but if your in Colorado at 6,000' that's another story. For a street rig I'd also look at a 33" tire in the 10.5" width they have way better street maners than a 12.5" wide tire has. my $.02

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What tire size are you using right now? I was using the old style 31-1050-15 tires for years with 3.50 gears. It was no ball-of-fire! I replaced the tires with 32" tires and the car couldn't get out of it's own way. I'd spend the money on lower gears first. 4.11s should work great with 33" tires but even 4.11s will be a stretch for your three speed and 35s.

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I got 35's with 3.50 gearing, mine is not a daily driver and i guess it helps that i have the engine to get me by until i re-gear. I guess you have lift enough to cover 35's, keep that in mind that you dont want to spend $1500 on tires to have them not look right. I would go the extra distance and spend the money to at least have third member re-geared and get the size that would look best. Pull the third member yourself and have someone change it out. Worry about the frontend at a later date.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have a fairly stock 351w with RV cam and I feel like I'm pulling something. I have stock gears with skinny 33s. I have 4.10s to add later next year. My opinion is to go with the 33s.

OP
OP
T

tdog

Thanks everybody! lots of good advise. Looks like l may go with the 33's I would like to go with 10.5 wide but those darn Generals with the Red letters only come 12.5 wide. I am located in Nebraska so elevation should not play a problem being short on power. Using the stock 83 will be the problem. Also I am capible of doing my own gear swaps but dont have the money now for the gears or the locker for the rear.

Side note to this build is I just purchased a front end Dana 44 with 5:13 gears and a spool. Was thinking about just leaving that in place and running the rear in 2wd only 3:50 gears. Then I could build a pumpking with 5:13 gears and locker to run off road. Are 33's a good match for the 5:13's on the trails???

Anybody now how tall will my Bronco would be from the ground to the top of the roof with 1" body lift 3.5 suspension lift and 33s??? Still trying to get this thing in the garage.

Jim at Wildhorses, Bought my 1" lift from you guys and rockers. Thanks everything fit great. Those rockers were a time saver.

Working towards getting some pictures of my project up on this site. Build thread. Maybe this weekend?

Thanks again this site is great!

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Thanks everybody! lots of good advise. Looks like l may go with the 33's I would like to go with 10.5 wide but those darn Generals with the Red letters only come 12.5 wide. I am located in Nebraska so elevation should not play a problem being short on power. Using the stock 83 will be the problem. Also I am capible of doing my own gear swaps but dont have the money now for the gears or the locker for the rear.

Side note to this build is I just purchased a front end Dana 44 with 5:13 gears and a spool. Was thinking about just leaving that in place and running the rear in 2wd only 3:50 gears. Then I could build a pumpking with 5:13 gears and locker to run off road. Are 33's a good match for the 5:13's on the trails???

Anybody now how tall will my Bronco would be from the ground to the top of the roof with 1" body lift 3.5 suspension lift and 33s??? Still trying to get this thing in the garage.

Jim at Wildhorses, Bought my 1" lift from you guys and rockers. Thanks everything fit great. Those rockers were a time saver.

Working towards getting some pictures of my project up on this site. Build thread. Maybe this weekend?

It's hard to say how much taller than stck it'llbe since your old springs are probably worn and your body mounts have settled. Maybe figure 5" taller through the lifts and another 2" or 3" in tire height and that should have you in the ballpark, anyway.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I run 33s with a mildly built 302 and 3.50s and it's fast on the street. I do have an NP435 4spd which makes a huge difference.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Big fan of 4.11's and 33's (ok mine are 32's but). Ran 32's and 3.50 gears for years and it was fine till you wanted to go 60 plus MPH or up a big hill. It would fall on it's face then. Around town in 1-2 gears was fine. I could even bark the tires if I really put the revs on it.

Went to 4.11's this summer and WOW how good it feels. I have power at speed which is to say I don't have to mat it to go up a hill or increase speed. An added bonus is my shimmy/shake when taking off is now gone. Still there just a touch in rev. Around town it's got more pep and can bark the tires at will.

Should have made the switch years ago but the cost was holding my back. The ford 9 is not that bad to re-gear(if not changing the carrier) but the front hits the wallet hard (JMO). Thick gears or new carrier will run you $300 with shipping(if you go with a t-loc more if going with a locker) then you have the master rebuild kit seals, might as will do teh U joints while there, wheel bearings, etc. It can really add up. I added disc brakes while I had it apart so that added more cost.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3.50 to 5.13, talk about one extreme to the other. Yes, 5.13 are great on the trail. Not so great on the highway. For reference I had a 351, 4R70W (.70 OD), 4.88 gears and 33s on the last bronco. I will say it would have been a perfect match for a 302 (just a hair over geared but still completely livable with the 351). Is was not so great without the overdrive, at least at highway speed. On the trail it was great, especially with a set of TeraLow gears.

redtail

Big fan of 4.11's and 33's (ok mine are 32's but). Ran 32's and 3.50 gears for years and it was fine till you wanted to go 60 plus MPH or up a big hill. It would fall on it's face then. Around town in 1-2 gears was fine. I could even bark the tires if I really put the revs on it.

Went to 4.11's this summer and WOW how good it feels. I have power at speed which is to say I don't have to mat it to go up a hill or increase speed. An added bonus is my shimmy/shake when taking off is now gone. Still there just a touch in rev. Around town it's got more pep and can bark the tires at will.

Should have made the switch years ago but the cost was holding my back. The ford 9 is not that bad to re-gear(if not changing the carrier) but the front hits the wallet hard (JMO). Thick gears or new carrier will run you $300 with shipping(if you go with a t-loc more if going with a locker) then you have the master rebuild kit seals, might as will do teh U joints while there, wheel bearings, etc. It can really add up. I added disc brakes while I had it apart so that added more cost.

Tim

I had the same issue of gutless up hill performance until I re-curved my timing, and advanced my cam 2*. Now it has, I kid you not, twice the power.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I am working on a 69 Bronco. I am installing a stock 1983 mustang GT engine (Originally 175 Hp). With added rockers and headers. I will be running a original 3 spd stick trans and dana 20. 1" body lift 3.5 suspension lift. Rear flars and the front fenders not cut.

From what I gather from reading on this site that I am ok with the amount of lift. I am worried about the gearing between the 35's and 33's. I would like to go 35's but worried it will not be able to pull itself along? I have read the 33's are size of tire for the 3:50s for street driving and act as a good overdrive.

Going to order $1500 in tires and I wanted to know if you folks would share you opinions on buying 35's

Looking at the General Grabber's with the Red Letters - Good? Bad?

Thank you!!!!!!!

I ran 35s for a long time with 3:50 gears and a C4.. I would think it would be hard on a manual.... matter of fact I think it burned up my c4 but it took years to do it. If I had it to do all over again I would have went with 33s and 4:11 gears. I think that combo makes a nice driver. I have 35s and 3:56 gears now... the gears are fine for the 35s but the 35s do not track as well as the 33s I had and do not stop and easily. My biggest worry when I drive my Bronco is stopping in a panic situation... It could get ugly :) And I have power discs.

Greg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran 35s for a long time with 3:50 gears and a C4.. I would think it would be hard on a manual.... matter of fact I think it burned up my c4 but it took years to do it. If I had it to do all over again I would have went with 33s and 4:11 gears. I think that combo makes a nice driver. I have 35s and 3:56 gears now... the gears are fine for the 35s but the 35s do not track as well as the 33s I had and do not stop and easily. My biggest worry when I drive my Bronco is stopping in a panic situation... It could get ugly :) And I have power discs.

Greg

3.56? Do you mean 4.56? 4.56 makes a lot more sense.

OX1

Bronco Guru

Ditch that 3 speed, get a T-18 4 speed and keep the 3.50 gears.
33's are 20% taller than stock 27's. T-18 has approx
100% more gear in first than stock 3 speeds. Taking off will
not be a problem.

and 4th will be a 20% overdrive, perfect for most highway cruising.
2400 RPM @ 67 MPH.

Steep hills may require 3rd, but 5000 RPM in 3rd (1.69 ratio)
and 3.5 gear with 33's gets you 83 MPH. Not sure how much faster
one would need to go up a steep hill.