• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What the heck is this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out his video Paul. Sounds like a few cylinders aren't firing, but then it smooths out toward the end of the video.

Thanks. Yeah I saw that, but was wondering at the time what sound the alternator alone was making. Could not tell at the moment through that video of the funky running of the engine.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Took my Alternator to autozone today and they tested it and the guy said it was bad so I bought a new one and installed it this afternoon and it fixed the problem. Cranked right up! Crazy I have been fighting this for a few moths. I would not have thought the Bad alternator would cause that. Thanks for the help!

Well, we're always saying we see and learn new things all the time around here. And this is one of those times. Never, ever heard of, nor can I imagine how, an alternator could be causing the engine to sputter and run rough until it warms up a minute or two later. Never...

Low voltage can wreak all sorts of havoc on an electronically controlled setup, such as EFI and maybe to a lesser extent an electronic ignition. But that did not seem to be the case.
A shorted out wire could cause trouble in many ways, but usually ends up with it letting the smoke out and creating troubles other than a rough running engine.
An overloaded alternator can put a huge load on the engine, but often that ends up with humming noises out of the alternator and maybe even squeaking belts as they slip under load.

Keep a volt-meter with you at all times is all I can say. Check battery voltage with the engine running when you suspect a charging system fault. Especially when you start to hear noises coming from the alternator. A bad bearing is not an automatic failure to charge. It's just an indication that you should be replacing it soon. But finding low voltage (below 13v) when the engine is running is a definite sign that it needs replacing now.
In your case though, the battery seemed to be staying charged, so it still remains kind of a mystery (to me at least) how replacing the alternator cured your engine running poorly. Dang...:eek:?:?

Like the others, sure glad it's fixed. But now we need an alternator expert to 'splain to us how and why this has now become another potential culprit to add to the already too long list of possible troublemakers!
Good job on wanting to get that bad bearing fixed. Seems to have led you down the right path.

Paul