• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what to check when buying used transmission

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Hi guys,

I'm buying a used 3 speed transmission today. I'm told is was operational when it was taken out, but the guy I'm buying it from never put it in his bronco. I'm just wondering, is there an inperction plate, or any methods to check if a manual transmission is good/functional before buying?

Any pointers on what to check and look for would be appresiated.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't heard of that many people paying for a 3-speed...they're usually free in my experience unless they're attached to something more valuable like a D20. I think there are several free ones in the classifieds right now, although I don't know if there are any close to you as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worthwhile to ship one anywhere.

You can pull the top cover plate and see all of the internals, oil condition, etc. Here are some pics from TBP's website: http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-3-speed-transmission-rat-ran-hef

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Good point. It comes with the D20. 100.00 for the pair and 25 miles from my house so no shipping. Seemed worth it. Ill either keep or sell the D20, not sure yet.

Thanks for the pointer on the top plate.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I was taught that with trans in netrual shift into first gear and spin input 2-3 times and feel how it turns if at anytime there a different feel (harder)in how it turns then there a problem or could be a problem,repete in all gears,thats about the only way without opening up.Also there's a tag on the side if you are lucky and its going to have a RAT or RAN marking,one for the 6, ones for the v-8,if you have a v-8 you don't the want 6 cly. trans.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
actually I believe either trans can have either markings RAT RAN or HEF although I dont think any 6cyl trannys had the RAT marking my interchange book may be wrong though. Easiest thing to do is look at the T case adapter if its only about 6in long its for a 6 cyl about 9in long its for a V8. Taking the cover off and tuning the input shaft is your best bet still may not tell the whole story but at worst you may just need to rebuild it before using it. I'd offer less than $100 for the setup.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Yeah, I think $75 would be the high end price for the complete combo. If it's a T shift transfer case it will have a lower gear set which may or may not be desireable for you. Some, like me, prefer the T shift. It could be of use to you either way.

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
New Question

Hi Guys,
I took off the inspection plate and found one of the gears was broken. I didn't buy it.

However here is my new question:
The trans I have now has a large crack on the housing so it leaks fluid pretty bad. Hence wanting to buy a new transmission. The housing on the trans I looked at today is in good shape, just the bad gear. Can a guy unbolt the housing and slide it off keeping the gears on the shaft? if so, I would maybe try that because my gears are all fine, just a bad housing. Long story short can a guy do a housing swap without messing with the gears?
Hopefully I worded that easy enough to follow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Good point, some day I would plan to. Right now with everything else in life to soend money on, I only have about a 100.00 budget. So that's why I'm just looking for a cheap 3 speed to swap for now.

Do you happen to know if thw housings can be switched like I was asking?
Thank,

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Good point, some day I would plan to. Right now with everything else in life to soend money on, I only have about a 100.00 budget. So that's why I'm just looking for a cheap 3 speed to swap for now.

Do you happen to know if thw housings can be switched like I was asking?Thank,

I have the whole rebuild process on a .pdf file I can send you if you provide me an e-mail address. Don't thing its as simple as loosening a few bolts and sliding the whole assembly out. Everthing comes out the top cover. A temp repair with JB Weld is a possibilty till you find one.