• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Studs for 1972 stock bronco

RyanOwens

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Hey Guys.

I installed the 4 wheel disc conversion kit on my 1972 ( I know, overkill, but I'm hoping to get the truck as reliable and safe as I can for a family driver and I want to learn as much as I can as I go so I opted for the 4 wheel conversion...)

I will also mention that I am learning as I go and I realize that I am no expert. The brake conversion actually went fine, it is just the clearance issue with the back wheels that is keeping me from completing the conversion.

The problem is that the rear wheel calipers hit the rear wheel rims where the 2 pieces of the rim are joined together on the back. This seems to be a known problem that I wish was mentioned in the Toms Bronco ad for the kit.

Where the 2 pieces on the rim are connected on the rear of the wheel there is a bit of metal "overhang" I could probably round off that overhang and solve the clearance problem but obviously I would prefer to not do that if possible.

Anyway, I need to add 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers but to do that I will need longer wheel studs. I thought I found a solution but the knurl section is too long and actually pressed into and messed up the holes on my rear rotors.

My stock studs seem to have a .45 length knurl (measured not from the complete end but the length of just the raised knurled section, the length that actually gets pressed in)

I need a 2" length.

The studs I bought that messed up my rotors had a knurl length of about .65, again that we too long and when I mounted the wheels the knurl pressed not the rotor and chipped up the holes.... lesson learned.

Any ideas?

Here are a few pics.

I will mention that Toms has been very helpful and they too are looking into the proper hardware to make this work out.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If this was me I would eithor spin down the shoulder in front of the knurl to the size of the rotor hole or buy a reamer the same size as the stud shoulder in front of the knurl and ream the holes in the rotor. reamers can be ordered in almost any size from mcmastercarr.com. I would rather spin the stud down that way new rotors dont have to be reamed every time you want to replace them. One thing to check on your set-up is will the knurl remain in the axle flange when they are fully pressed into the axle and not go all the way through.

Check this link there is alot of pages of information.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/137-142_Sec10_Part2.pdf