• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where do my balls go?

MattM

Loc.
Missoula, MT
Okay, here is my story. My gas gauge wasn’t working so I traced the problem to the tank selector switch. I tested it and didn’t get continuity on any leads. So I decided to take the switch apart. I carefully opened it and saw that the copper terminals and internal parts were cruddy and corroded. Bingo!

Next thing I know, springs and balls are flying across the hood. I hear something hit the floor as the switch guts come flying out. I found the springs, the contactor plates and one ball bearing. I searched the garage floor for thirty minutes (with a magnet even) and couldn’t find the second (all important) ball bearing.

Hoping it might work, I decided to put the switch back together without it. It went together pretty good and, surprisingly, it switched more smoothly than before.

This afternoon I looked again. Walla! I found the bearing up against the garage door. So I take the switch apart again and . . . the first ball bearing is missing. I’m guessing that’s the one I found. I’m off to Ace Hardware to see if they sell balls.

Has anyone else taken the switch apart? Do the ball bearings sit on the springs or do they go in the other two holes?

ontherun

Loc.
San Antonio
Okay, here is my story. My gas gauge wasn’t working so I traced the problem to the tank selector switch. I tested it and didn’t get continuity on any leads. So I decided to take the switch apart. I carefully opened it and saw that the copper terminals and internal parts were cruddy and corroded. Bingo!

Next thing I know, springs and balls are flying across the hood. I hear something hit the floor as the switch guts come flying out. I found the springs, the contactor plates and one ball bearing. I searched the garage floor for thirty minutes (with a magnet even) and couldn’t find the second (all important) ball bearing.

Hoping it might work, I decided to put the switch back together without it. It went together pretty good and, surprisingly, it switched more smoothly than before.

This afternoon I looked again. Walla! I found the bearing up against the garage door. So I take the switch apart again and . . . the first ball bearing is missing. I’m guessing that’s the one I found. I’m off to Ace Hardware to see if they sell balls.

Has anyone else taken the switch apart? Do the ball bearings sit on the springs or do they go in the other two holes?

Damn bro',.............:-[
sorreeee it's takin' a' while for anyone to figure out where your ball/balls need to go,........:D :p
if I knew,. I'd help ya' out but,. ALAS! I don't,.... S.

Last edited:

pondscum

Send me an email and I will send you a selector switch I have. It is a spare and might take me a day to find in the shed but I think you deserve it after all you went through.

OP
OP
MattM

MattM

Loc.
Missoula, MT
pondscum,

Thanks for the offer, but I got it. I went into Ace Hardware for a 9 cent bearing and walked out with 50 bucks worth of crap.

For those interested, the bearings do go on top of the springs. Taking the switch apart and cleaning it is fairly easy—a nice little project. After 35 years, my copper contacts were black. I hit them with a little sand paper and they looked like new.

The trick is putting the switch back together. It is a delicate procedure—kinda like gluing legs back on an ant.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
For those interested, the bearings do go on top of the springs. Taking the switch apart and cleaning it is fairly easy—a nice little project. After 35 years, my copper contacts were black. I hit them with a little sand paper and they looked like new.

The trick is putting the switch back together. It is a delicate procedure—kinda like gluing legs back on an ant.

How bout a tech article? I need to clean my switch too, not sure if I can get it out though since its behind the roll bar :(