• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which front sway bar? Duff Long arms...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
73stallion, what steering box is he running with sway bar? When I checked on doing the same it wouldn't work because, I run the stock box and it would hit the currie sway bar.

didn't matter in this case. he ran it BEHIND the axle, in the rear dip of the oil pan behind the drain plug and just in front of the trans bell housing. so it was pointing FORWARD.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Wish I had seen this post earlier 888. I just ordered the 147 for my 75 last Friday.

What is the problem with your fit? Specifics pleaseeeee?;D I just ordered the 147. I am planning on making my own end links out of grade 8 threaded rod because I have a 3.5" lift. Sorry to hijack Jesus888 ;)

The bar is just not shaped right, it's too wide at the front and hits the C bushings and doesn't really fit around the 44 carrier very well. The front mounting brackets are not very well built either. The end link/frame mount side works fine.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I bought a set of Addco sway bars but couldn't get them on without major modifications. Managed to get the front on by building a special bracket, but the bar actually interfered with the caster. I finally pulled it off. I tried to install the rear without success. If the bronco had stock suspension I'm sure they would work fine. So, I have a full set if someone is interested. $120 plus shipping.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
My Duff long arms perform great on the road compared to the other set-ups I have run in the past....I am sure they could be stiffened up some, but I have the Duff 5.5" lift and can run 75 down the interstate with no problems, so I have to think your setup problems may be due to the springs or other suspension components your running.....

I'm jealous...

I have 3.5" Duff lift all around, new BC Broncos linkage, rebuilt box by West Texas offroad, new ball joint new steering shaft, and new steering wheel and column, 35" BFG All terrains... honestly this thing is either new or rebuilt EVERYWHERE but when it gets over 45 mph... it gets a little white-knuckled...

Was hoping just to make it behave a little better in general with the sway-bar... maybe it's not so bad... I guess some more miles will tell the tale...

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
So do you have "death wooble" or does the truck just feel loosey goosey. If it is not "death wooble" I'm wondering if it is in the alignment. All the long armed trucks I have driven or ridden handle just fine on road.
What is the toe set, has the camber and caster been checked?

Just adding the sway bar won't do any good if the other stuff is out. Alsowhat shocks are you running?

You gotta get this thing running right so we can all see it!;)

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Well, not the death wobble... just wanders one way and when you correct, it wanders the other way, and so on... and at speed that gets kinda scary.

I got it aligned when it was in Alabama and they said they were limited with what they could do because we didn't have a dropped pitman arm.

I can imagine though that stuff is still out some... I'll chat with John over at Team 1 Automotive (where it is) and see if they can throw it on the alignment rack... and yes... I NEED to get it running right so I can get some miles on it... the folks over at Team 1 have really redone A LOT, full fuel system and all new wiring up front... CANT WAIT!!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Correct castor will make things much better. I've got my toe and 1/8" in and camber 1/2 degree positive.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got it aligned when it was in Alabama and they said they were limited with what they could do because we didn't have a dropped pitman arm.!!

??. That has what to do with caster, camber or toe-in?? Nothing.

I've found that toe-in is important but caster the most important of all; I run 1/4" toe in and a full 6 degrees of caster..the latter having the most effect on creating a stable "tracking" behavior.

All that said, the ole "Hotchkiss Wander" is always with us as we drive the straight-axle beasts..if the road is not perfectly flat and has an accentuated crown or, worse and much more common, pronounced wheel track depressions, these trucks will wander.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X2, sounds like you have a caster problem. Mine drove just like you describe even when it was at the factory alignment spec. I added more caster ( 7 degrees +) and it drives great now. Made a huge difference.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
The bar is just not shaped right, it's too wide at the front and hits the C bushings and doesn't really fit around the 44 carrier very well. The front mounting brackets are not very well built either. The end link/frame mount side works fine.

That does not sound good for me. I just dropped 350 on front and rear addco bars. I guess I will see what happens and if it won't fit send'em back to Summitt.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Get rid of the duff shocks with the long arms. they are to soft. put a stiffer shock or somthing like an adjustable rancho 9000 on it and your sway problems will dissapear. I run Cage arms and 9000's and all is good. no sway or loose feeling.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have dual cage shocks on the front with the cage long arms, 35's and the chevy TRO steering, 2.5 suspension, 2" body lift. I can run down the highway at 85 + without issue, but I know live in a hilly area with alot of twists and turns. So I would like to have a bit better handling in the body roll area, of course I could just slow down too:p

I may give the bar through the crossmember trick over the winter.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Which front sway bar?

Kurtboyd, the link you posted is for the 33" universal kit, is that the one you used?

Thanks for posting this up, as I have been dragging my heels not wanting to peice something together.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Well, just to add more to this thread, I think that the OP should definitely get his alignment specs checked and get them where they need to be. He may NOT have an issue, but he may HAVE.

I'd think you'd want to get the toe, castor, and camber set as close to optimal as possible before you go making major hardware changes, buying expensive parts, custom fitting things, etc.

You don't want to 'band-aid' an alignment issue with shocks or sway bars.

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Okay ...... I went down this road too , just as many of us have . So as a short term fix i went and got a set of Rancho rs9000 and put them on , Well that was 14 years ago and I'm on a second set . Forget about the pain of putting a Sway-bar on and get a set of Rancho adjustable rs9000. It will save You time and $$$$ at the. Some would say that they arn't as Cooool as a Sway-bar but who cares they work .

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Pictures are below...

photo44.jpg

photo43.jpg

photo42.jpg

photo41.jpg

looks like You need new shocks in the rear any way (they look too short).