• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which optima - red or yellow

Red or Yellow Top Optima or another brand.

• Red Top

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yellow Top

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Another Brand: Specify and why

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I am about to get my battery and am unsure on which one to get. I am planning on putting a winch and some lights on the front bumper. Also will be putting in a stereo, cb, and a couple of other things, but htey won't take much power.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
If the choice is between the optima I would go with the deepcycle versions especially if you are running a winch. Better would be having two. One for accessories and the other for starting and running the car. Dont forget to upgrade your alternator to keep up with all that stuff.

If you have other choices then there are quite a few contenders. Im quite impressed with the oddysey batteries. Same concept as the optima just that the plates are closer together and more of them. Not to mention made in USA. Not the cheapest battery but comparable to the Optima. If its good enough for the US military its definitely good enough for me ;D

However, the optimas look nice and they have shiny holders and Im like a gold digging chick when it comes to shiny stuff ;D Way to get my priorities right.

Mao

Loc.
Greenwood, LA
I agree with NY-Bronco on the oddysey batteries, but I have had very good results with the large blue top optima. It has both screw terminals and the posts. If my Bronc has been sittin a month or more it always has plenty to get the gas pumped up to the carb and get er started. This is the big version of that battery.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
My rig is not my DD so it sits for long periods (2 mo or so) sometimes without being run/ started. I have the deep cycle yellow top in mine and it fires up by the 3rd revolution of the crank everytime. I run dual red tops in my DD powerstroke F-250.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Deka Intimidator...

Many many many extensive threads on this subject...

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
I run yellow tops in all my race cars/offroad rigs, have for years. There may be other brands that are as good but I don't think there better. My butts been saved a couple of times from walking home due to dead alts etc by my yellow tops.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that the Optima batteries are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and even though some are sold as a cranking battery, an AGM battery was never designed for that initially (they were intended for long term slow discharge and extended storage in hot climates). Cranking batteries are designed for very fast, high capacity discharging (which is done best by a lead acid battery). An AGM that is desiged specifically for starting will work as intended but one which is intended for deep cycle will start to fail if you use it for starting over time. A lead acid can be drawn to 80% of its rated capacity and recover while an AGM can only be discharged at 50% of its capacity to recover (which if you buy an AGM specified for deep cycle, they will not tolerate a deep discharge which starting could cause). Misuse an AGM and it will only live as long as a lead acid would have and cost you much more.

AGM batteries are awesome but you definitely need to purchase the correct one for your aplication. If you intend to use your winch alot, then I would look into a dual battery system with an isolator, get a cranking for cranking and get the largest deep cycle you can fit, isolate it and connect your stereo, lights and winch to it.

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Optima just started making their batteries down in Mexico and their quality dropped dramatically. I actually just went to buy another one, and was told this by my battery salesman. He recommended the new Duracell batteries for something similar, if not better to what the Optimas used to be.

There are tons of great batteries out there, and I was disappointed to hear that about the Optimas.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
AGM batteries are awesome but you definitely need to purchase the correct one for your aplication. If you intend to use your winch alot said:
That's funny, I used my winch for 2 days pulling fence posts and only have 1 red top....Oh wait,D'ouh It's a PTO winch;D;D:cool:

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Deka Intimidator...

Many many many extensive threads on this subject...

Ditto. A great battery I have one in my Bronco and tons of power for my winch or starting in extreme temps.

Henry

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
next time around i'll probably just run a costco battery. they stand behind their stuff. tired of optima, can't afford odyssey.