• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whose running 9.5 x 15’s?

SeaVee

Contributor
Starting to put my 77 back together. Uncut with 2.5 inch Duff kit. I originally wanted to run 10 x15’s on my stock rims, but some people have said no go, drop to a 9.5 x 15.
Thought I reach out for some expert advice.
TIA

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with a 10" wide tire on a stock 5.5 or 6 inch wheel. Sure, it's at the maximum that most people go, and it's well past the "normally recommended" size by most tire manufacturers, but it's been done countless times.
Maybe others here will have done it and run them long enough to let us know if they ran into any real issues while doing so. Maybe odd tire wear, but which Broncos didn't have odd tire wear back in the day? Mine sure did!
Maybe needing to adjust tire pressures to keep them wearing well and feeling good on the street. But that is also something that is standard operating procedure for any non-stock tire-wheel combination.

Good luck.
Nothing wrong with a 9.50. Just feel that if you want a 10.50 then it's worth a try. Just getting one in the diameter you want could be troublesome. After all, you can fit a 33" tall tire with 2.5" of lift. Are your rear fenders uncut still?

Paul

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
on my 77 30x9:50x15 6” wide wheel no lift no body lift works good

Attachments

• 0321EDC3-1A7A-4EE7-9188-6426C2E47BEB.jpeg
    0321EDC3-1A7A-4EE7-9188-6426C2E47BEB.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
S

SeaVee

Contributor
Uncut. 2.5 lift. Really want 10x15’s if they’ll fit . No hard articulation wheeling in my future, maybe the beach. I run 295’s on my stock 2500 Suburban rims ( came with 245’s ) so that aspect doesn’t worry me. Just want to make sure I don’t rub or crunch a fender. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately, as we’ve found over the years, every bronco is different.
You’re almost certainly going to rub the radius arms on hard turns. That’s normal and doesn’t really hurt anything.
You really should not rub a tire on the body with that size on a stock wheel, but for some reason some seem to have less clearance than others between the body and the front of the rear tires.

It’s that pesky leading edge of the rear wheel opening that can cause trouble. You’ve seen it discussed several times over the past couple of months here I believe.
Whereas my 68 with 2 1/2 inches of suspension and 1 inch body lift with 31x10.50 tires on 7 inch wheels doesn’t even come close.

In other words… Your results may vary.
But you have a very good chance of not having a problem.
Is the body back on the frame yet? Initial tires and wheels mounted? Got pics?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
First pic is 9.50x15 and second is 10.50x15. Both stock rims.

Attachments

• complete3.JPG
    complete3.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 38
  • broncohouse 3.JPG
    broncohouse 3.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
S

SeaVee

Contributor
No right now it’s totally down to the frame and the frame is being powder coated right now. Hopefully starting to put it back together next week. Brand new Duff 2.5 will be installed. Not a fan of body lifts. Be glad to share pics if some one can educate me on how it’s done on this site

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure thing. The best way (for the site and for us!) is to become a contributor for the $12 bucks a year and then you can upload photos directly to your discussions. In the interim however you can use your "Garage" and "Gallery" functions to upload pics. We just have to click out of the thread to view them, but that's not a huge deal.
If there are a lot of pics sometimes you can e-mail them to someone like me that has the yellow "contributor" beneath their username and we'll upload them for you. But if it's just a few go ahead and use the Garage/Gallery features.
When you feel it, or just have a lot of pics and want to share them, the 12bucks is totally worth it.

So that's a couple of the ways to get a photo on the site.

Paul