• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

why have I blown 2 condensers in the last 10 times I've driven my E

PartnersInCrime

I have blown 2 condensers in the last 10 times I've driven my EB... does anybody have ANY clue as to why this is happening? It didn't used to do this...

Thanks,

PiC

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some condensors are just cheap and go bad easily. I would check your points gap, wiring, and plug gap. Might want to check and see how many volts you have at the coil when the engine is running it should be less than 12V more like 8 or 9 I think. If you have a full 12V then your resistor wire could be bad and causing the condensor to fail.
also if you leave the key in the on position ith the engine not running its not real good for the points not sure about the condensor.
Might be a good time to upgrade to a electronic ignition.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D Gust look at the resistor wire they go bad and will eat them. You can buy a external resistor and it should fix you up good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I would test it by loading it across the battery posts, then touch it to your tongue. It'll give a little tickle, like a 9v battery...
If there is no "tickle" then it's probably bad. You'll know instantly.

OP
OP
P

PartnersInCrime

thanks for the ideas guys! I am planning on switching over to an electronic ignition eventually, I'm just working on getting the body work done first while I drive it. Then, as I put all of the good stuff back in after paint, I'll do my mechanical upgrades (efi, electric ignition, etc...).

really though, thanks for the info!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What do the points look like when your condensers blow? I'm assuming your engine dies when this happens?
I'd agree that it sounds like you're getting too much voltage to the ignition system. Exact same thing happened with my '71

Paul

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would test it by loading it across the battery posts, then touch it to your tongue. It'll give a little tickle, like a 9v battery...
If there is no "tickle" then it's probably bad. You'll know instantly.

OH Damm!!! That is one way to tell for sure.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you have thick skin the 12V may not provide enough tickle. Use the coil wire (from another vehicle) to charge the condenser. Be careful and only touch either the metal case or the wire lead, not both. Then toss it to your buddy as you ask him to take a look at it. He'll let you know if it's holding a charge.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Better to fix the problem before upgrading

I've never liked throwing parts at a problem hoping it will go away. There is nothing wrong with a well tuned point distributor. Also, I'm afraid you have something wrong that may also damage any new upgraded system you put in. Sounds to me like someone may have bypassed the resistor wire. It is made to reduce the voltage to the ignition system while the car is running. It can't be damaged to pass a full 12 volts. It's like Rover. When it's dead it's dead all over! It's a really cheap fix and available at a good part store.