• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will 289 fit in 74 Bronco w/o clearance issues?

demo0211

Will a 289 V8 from a 66 mustang with a front sump pan fit in my 74 Bronco or will there be clearance issues with xmembers or front pumpkin?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
There is a reason the Bronco has its own oil pan, clearance.
Ford would not have spent money on a different design and manufacturing it if they did not need it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, what was said.
The engine will fit obviously (same basic block design and engine family), and even the pan will "fit" into the cradle in many cases. But it won't be long for this world once you start driving around.

I've seen front sump pans in Broncos before, but never successfully. Can't say for sure that a '66 Mustang pan is any better or worse than the others I've seen. But I bet it's pretty close to not working. I think for the most part, Ford kept the same basic pans across multiple vehicle lines. So a Mustang pan might be the same as an LTD pan of the same era, etc.
But it's not right.

So the best thing to do is get a Bronco-specific pan and pickup tube and use it.
By "Bronco-specific" though, these days that includes the Fox Body Mustang, Ford Racing, and other "double sump" pans.
The Bronco pans were simply 6-quart "rear-sump" and the Fox Body pans have a front and a rear sump and drain plugs in each (and may be only 5-quart as well?). Very messy, but still the pan fits.

Even Explorer pans fit, but just barely. And the aluminum Explorer pans are not desirable because they can come in contact with the axle. And if it's hard enough, obviously adios pan!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have had an aluminum explorer pan in my 74 for over 10 years and it has never hit the D44. The 5.0 does have the extreme motor mounts and good bump stops. I wheel it hard.

OP
OP
D

demo0211

I still have the original 302 in it but it's tired. 302 has the correct pan with side mount dipstick tube. So if I use 302 pickup tube and pan on the 289 should be good to go?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd forgotten you had one of the aluminum pans Phil. But have heard enough horror stories (maybe assumptions, maybe experiences) to want to recommend one to anybody.

Maybe it's all about the lift.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...302 has the correct pan with side mount dipstick tube. So if I use 302 pickup tube and pan on the 289 should be good to go?

I think so. Wait for someone with more 289 knowledge, but I believe the pan rails are the same, so your pickup tube and pan should bolt right on.

But that's not something I've experienced.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A 289 and a 302 (of the same vintage up through the 70's) are the same engine. Only slight changes (crank and rods), even the pistons have the same specs.

Now the only glitch that has not been pointed out is the bellhousing. You say a '66 engine. That could have the old bolt pattern, commonly refered to as the 5-bolt bellhousing. So long as the 289 is the 6-bolt bellhousing you are good to go,

You will need the Bronco oil pan. Timing cover a good idea as well as the 289 will have an incorrect dipstick or hole to change. Watch out for timing pointers, Ford moved them a lot. The timing pointer could be in a different location simply because it had factory A/C. Match the damper to the timing cover, so the old Bronco parts are known to be right. The mustang manifolds are likely different then the Bronco ones, guess which ones to use?.

Hazegray

I would suggest getting a 302 or 351 and be done with it. Those 289's are getting harder to come by, and as suggested, if it's an early 289 may not work with what you have.

OP
OP
D

demo0211

Thanks for the bellhousing and timing cover suggestion, hadn't thought of that. I will do a closer inspection. I have a couple 5 bolt bellhousings I will check them to see if they might work as well if needed. Only reason I'm even considering the 289 is it's already rebuilt plus alum heads, intake and 4 bbl whereas my old 302 is just 2 bbl. I'll be putting headers on so manifolds won't matter. Thanks for the great info. Steve

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I prefer the 289 over the 302 personally. I just feel they run better.

But given the chance, I will take a 351.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
On the Mustang 289 you will also have to swap the flywheel and use the Bronco 302 flywheel. Bronco flywheel is larger than what the Mustang uses. I would also use the motor plate from the 302.