• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a 351W fit in place of a 302 without many problems jn my EB

jeffs76

Loc.
Northwest Pa.
I found a 351w out of a 88 Bronco and I would like to put it into my 76 Bronco with a 302. I know it will fit but I would like to possibly put a stroker in it. Are there going to be any unforeseen problems that I need to be aware of such as cooling , engine mounts, header clearances,bell housing so on, so on? As far as the stroker goes is there a special 351w I should be looking for? Also, 4 barrel carbs, What do you guys recomend? Thanks Jeff

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I would recommend having some body lift or a hood scoop for a 351w swap. Mine has some hood clearance issues with a Motorcraft 2-barrel. I have a bolt for the air cleaner instead of the stud and wing-nut.

I do like my 351 by the way. I wish mine was modded more though.

68ford

Bronco Guru
i would assume it will overheat, its seems like every widsor in an eb ran hot at one point and had things done to keep it cool or are still trying to keep it cool.

its about that time of the year when the "my 351w runs too hot" threads to start popping up daily hahahaha

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought there was a tech article on swapping the 351W. Couldn't find it.

Simple answer, it swaps in fairly easy. Motor mounts, transmission just bolt up. I know there are lists out there somewhere, but the short of it is there are a few things that's don't interchange off the old 302 onto the 351.
Oil pan is special to the 351, the '88 should work fine after putting a dent in it for the front diff. Usually it is just consider self clearancing after the first bottoming out and then all is good
Intake is wider, special for the 351. The EFI intake is too tall. Not sure if you were planning on EFI or a carb. Probably best to take this tangent to another thread, especially with stroker plans.
Distributor is unique to 351W. The bore is slightly different and the biggy is the oil pump driveshaft is 1/16" bigger on the 351
If you run the Bronco accessory drive (timing chain, balancer, pulleys, etc.) then a could simple and cheap adaptor spacers will keep everything on the front of the engne stock Bronco. Other choices exist as well.
IF the 302 cooling system is in good shape, it will usually do OK even with the 351.
Exhaust pattern on the heads is the same, but the ports are a little taller and wider. Minor exhaust modifications are usually (but not always) needed. Some 302 headers will work on 351 others won't.
Hood clearance is tight. Low profile intakes and air filter have been known to fit under the stock hood. What would be needed to feed a stroker will require some help. Tall hood and/or body lift.
Body lift also helps with the throttle linkage to valve cover clearance but is not needed. Venders do offer speciality linkage or cable conversions.

That is most of it.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Goes in slicker than snot. cooling is always happening. As to the carb I have a 2 bbl with a spacer and a ford air cleaner on a stock EB and have no clearance issues.
TOFIC

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I run a 2" BL, and my 351 is the Ford Racing 250hp crate motor with the Ford aluminum intake, a qjet and adapter plate on top. I run a drop base cleaner with a 2" element and it just barely fits under my stock hood.

As for cooling - I have heard the horror stories but here's my solution:

I run a Summit aluminum radiator, a reverse-rotation, stock type water pump (nothing fancy), and a 2600 CFM electric fan with a 170 degree thermostat. I've driven my rig in hot weather (90+ degrees) in extended stop and go traffic and my temp gauge never read higher than 170. Inside the cab (with no carpet or insulation) it feels like its overheating, but the engine stays pretty cool. I have stock exhaust manifolds feeding dual 2.25" exhaust that joins at the muffler to 2.5" pipe. I've heard headers will help the heat get out of the engine faster but so far so good.

My only trail experience was in mid-70 degree weather so I can't really say what it'll do on the trail in the summer, but I expect that'll be somewhat like my experience in a traffic jam.

Otherwise I think the 351 swap is about the easiest way to increase cubes, horsepower and torque. Most everything is a bolt-on aside from what was mentioned by other posters above.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
i would assume it will overheat, its seems like every widsor in an eb ran hot at one point and had things done to keep it cool or are still trying to keep it cool.

its about that time of the year when the "my 351w runs too hot" threads to start popping up daily hahahaha

:eek: :eek: :eek: This is BS they should not run any hotter than a 289/302 if done right. Dont go over .030 on the bore run a 351W cam and you should not have any problems good luck and have fun. The 351W kicks it .:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

70_Steve

Old Guy
As for cooling - I have heard the horror stories but here's my solution:
I've heard the horror stories also. Maybe I'm just lucky.

When I still had the 302, I had the stock radiator recored with a 4 tube core. On my 351, I run the stock water pump, stock 7 blade fan, stock fan shroud. I've been wheeling at 105-110, and the engine doesn't get much over 210.

The engine is a bolt-in, even with no body lift. A 1" body lift will, however, help a lot! With my power brake booster, I'm not really sure the engine would have fit. Might have had to do some trimming... Everything else has a solution.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
My stroked Windsor is running nice and cool with it's Explorer serpentine set up and the stock radiator. I still don't have a fan shroud on it. I'm running a 195 degree thermostat and I think my motor has gotten up to 205 while crawling; usually it stays right at 195.

OP
OP
J

jeffs76

Loc.
Northwest Pa.
Thanks for all your help, I am running a 4" lift and a 2" body lift So clearances should not be a problem other than the high intake. If I go with a carb is there one better than the other such as holley or edelbrock and or what size? Do you think stroking it would be worth it? Thanks again, Jeff

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Thanks for all your help, I am running a 4" lift and a 2" body lift So clearances should not be a problem other than the high intake. If I go with a carb is there one better than the other such as holley or edelbrock and or what size? Do you think stroking it would be worth it? Thanks again, Jeff

Take a ride in mine and you'll think the stroke option is worth it. :cool:

Really it didn't cost any more to stroke it than to give it a regular rebuild, so in my case it was a no-brainer.

Mine is carb'ed though. I went with a 670 Holley TA.

68ford

Bronco Guru
:eek: :eek: :eek: This is BS they should not run any hotter than a 289/302 if done right. Dont go over .030 on the bore run a 351W cam and you should not have any problems good luck and have fun. The 351W kicks it .:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

it really isnt BS if your realistic, every summer there are literally probably 100 threads for 351w overheating and maybe? 5 302s overheating?

not saying it will, i realize it shouldnt, but alot do. im the kinda guy that would rather be negative and have something more positive actually happen verses being optimistic and then having issues.