• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Harness Help!!!!

TurboJeep

So, I'm new to the Bronco's and to even Fords. I have always been a Jeep guy and still am, as still have a pretty built '06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
I recently bought a 1967 Ford Bronco to mess with. The previous owner had swapped in the entire drive train from a 1987 Ford Bronco with a fuel injected 302, 5 speed manual (M5OD-R2), and the BW1356 transfer case in it.
The way he had it set up is that he pulled the original wiring harness and used the wiring harness from the 1987 Bronco. He said he drove it for about 3 years like that before pulling that wiring harness out to "clean it up" and swapped from the 1987 Bronco intake to an intake what he said was a similar year Ford Crown Vic/LTD with a 5.0 in it.
He then didn't get very far with the rewire and thats how I bought it. Both the 1967 and 1987 Bronco wiring harness' that I have are an absolute mess and nothing is labeled. So, I want to replace them with a new harness altogether.
My question is, would I be able to buy a new "original harness" and then do a 1989-1993 Ford Mustang 5.0 intake swap and get the harness from Wild Horses Bronco parts place that is designed to be plug and play for the original harness to run all the Mustang intake and fuel injection stuff? Is there anything that plugs into that transmission or transfer case that would be electronic that would not make this setup work?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

Jedeka

Contributor
I would search for the videos on this site that are made by the EFI Guy. If it looks like more than you want to tackle, I think he can build/modify your wiring harness.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey TJ, welcome to classic Broncos! In both senses of the words!

Can you add some pics to your garage, or maybe an online image hosting site like SuperMotors or similar, so we can see exactly what you're dealing with?
Just wanting to make sure what is what.

Do you know that the frame is still '67? Or could the early body have been swapped in to the later chassis?
It's been done, and you said "entire drivetrain" so that's why I'm asking. If only the engine, transmission and transfer case into the old frame, that's one thing. But if we're dealing with further stuff (such as the TTB front suspension) then it could get more involved.

Usually the 1356 is considered too wide for the Early Bronco frame, so did yours fit, or was the frame modified to get it to fit between the rails?

To your main question about wiring, Garry is a great resource. But in simple terms, the chassis wiring would be Early Bronco if the frame and body are still intact. Pretty straightforward and then the engine harness is stand-alone so not a problem.
As you noted, we sell the Mustang EFI harness at WH and that works out well and is simple to install once you decide where the computer will go. In your case, that sounds like it's already done.

Even if it's not all Mustang, it's not impossible to swap out connectors to the harness, as in many cases back then the sensors and computers were different, but the wiring was the same. Just different connectors so you didn't put a Mustang sensor into a T-bird's computer, etc.

But some pics would be cool. Not only for helping us to help you, but 'cause we like to see pics of people's rides anyway!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
T

TurboJeep

Yea, its still the '67 frame. It was notched to make the BW 1356 fit. It still has the original axles, 9 inch in the rear and Dana 30 up front I believe. I will try and upload some pics tonight when I get off work. If that wiring set up will work, my next concern will be all of the vacuum stuff and the brake booster setup. I question the vacuum and brake booster setup only because none of the vacuum stuff is connected and is in a box as well as the brake booster. I will try and load up some pics tonight to help further my situation. Thanks again for the help!