• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring issues

powers4680

When I turn on the switch the turning light indicator is eliminated and the turning signals do not blink. Also if I turn the headlights without the switch on all Auxiliary functions turn on. Any ideas or just a slow process of checking wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Is the truck wired with the factory harness or one of the aftermarket harnesses? Stock or aftermarket steering column? When you say the indicator is eliminated when you turn the switch does that mean they are typically lit when the turn signal isn’t engaged? Can you list out which “auxiliary functions” come on with the headlight switch? What year is your truck?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Every issue I've ever had with my blinkers has been "ground" related. heck I think all the wiring issues I've ever had have been ground issues.

Could be the "flasher" It works by getting hit and cold and produces the click click click when the blinker is flashing.

Corrosion in the switch under the steering wheel can cause strange things too

Tim

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

I meant to put illuminated when the switch is on. I’m not sure about the harness it had a 351 in it when I bought it. Steering column is factory I’m pretty sure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, more details please powers.
What year Bronco? Factory wiring, or new wiring harness?

When I turn on the switch

Just to be sure, you mean the turn signal switch, not the ignition switch. Correct?

the turning light indicator is eliminated and the turning signals do not blink.

Did you mean the light was illuminated, but does not blink? Or you mean the light does not come on at all and the signals don't blink?
Either way I suppose, if the lights do not blink it could be that either the bulbs are bad, or the flasher unit is bad.
You can check the bulbs and wiring from the column back to the lights easily. If the brake lights work, or the hazard flashers work, then your wiring and bulbs are all good.

If the bulbs and wiring are good, then check under the dash for the flasher unit/relay/thingy. There are two, one for the turn signals and one for the 4-way hazards.
If the 4-ways work you can swap the flasher units to see if the problem follows the flashers, or if it still exists. If not change, then you'll need to break out the volt-meter.

Also if I turn the headlights without the switch on all Auxiliary functions turn on.

Now we're talking about a bigger problem. Just like you said, this may just end up being one long deep dig into the wiring.
But sometimes that just needs to be done on these old trucks.

Again though, is the switch you're talking about here the ignition switch or the turn-signal switch?

Any ideas or just a slow process of checking wires.

Yep to both!;D%)

Good luck

Paul

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

It a 1973 the ignition system is stand alone because I’m running a modern drive train so the old aux system is still in place I didn’t marry them up. The blue bulb illuminates when the key switch is turned on. The head light switch also turns everything on when I pull it so there definitely is bleed over somewhere. The turn signal bulbs are good I’ve upgraded them to the LED lights and also put in the hyper flash things for the turn signals.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, good to know. Well, critical to know hopefully!
Are all of the LED lights in the proper orientation? Most are polarity sensitive, so do not work right when inserted one way, and work fine when turned 180 in the socket.

I wonder what the blue light is? The blue light on most vehicles is the high-beam indicator. On Broncos the high-beam indicator is red, which is a confusion to many who are used to the blue lights of others, and where red means something very bad.
Either way though, they should not come on with the key.

More details please...
What is the modern drivetrain? Is it a computer controlled vehicle where a blue light might have been added for a Check Engine Light?
Or is this up at the top and center of the cluster where the high-beam indicator is? Perhaps it's more purple-ish than blue-ish? That is common for the LED conversion kits where there is a blue bulb behind the red lens.
Of course, the red lens can be removed first and you would see blue.
At any rate, I can't think of a blue light on a stock dash, so we're still at the early stages of our playing Sherlock Holmes to your wiring.

Sounds like we need every detail you know.
Did you buy it this way, or did you build it? If so, do it yourself, or have it done? Or a little of both?
Definitely some bleed-over between systems that are not supposed to, which means that only you can finally find it because we're out here and can't see what's going on.

Do you have all the grounds that a modern system needs? There is the main one from the battery to the engine block, then there is the smaller one from the battery to the body, then the ones you add. Which should include at least one from the back of the engine to the firewall so the body and dashboard have a better ground.

The headlights are supposed to get power all the time, along with the brake lights which take their power from the headlight switch.
The turn signals are only active with the key in ON or ACC.
Flashers have power all the time.

When the 4-way flashers are flashing, putting your foot on the brake stops them from flashing. That's normal.
When the turn signals are flashing in one direction, only the brake light comes on in the other side. Normal also.
I don't remember what the turn signal switch does when the hazards are flashing, but probably nothing.

Anyway, give us a few more details about how the two wiring systems were married, or not married together.
It's harder to diagnose a custom than it is a factory setup, but luckily some things have similar symptoms no matter what.
Just haven't found that yet.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen that headlight switch issue before on an early mustang. Aftermarket radio, where the illumination and accessory wires were spliced together.

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

I think the blue like that I’m referring to is the highbeam indicator light. It appears to me that the flashers are engaged in emergency flash mode but they’re not blinking the turn signals are lit but not blinking both are. The drivetrain is an LS drivetrain and it’s completely standalone from the rest of the wiring harness. It does have an aftermarket radio so what was said about the mustang makes sense. Everything is working minus the blinkers. I definitely did not do it myself because I’m not that mechanically inclined.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do the brake lights work?
And when the indicators are illuminated but not blinking, are the front and rear turn signals at least illuminated too? Or are those lights off?
I'm guessing they're on, but would like to be sure.

It's looking more and more like you will have to go digging. Which might not be fun, but it sure will be interesting!

Paul

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

Yes they are illuminated at all times but the break lights work properly.