• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow. I think I bought a piece of crap.Help me out guys.....please!

67broncorebuild

Loc.
stanwood Wa
All in all they are money pits!!!I have spent over $12,000 in the last 3 years in upgrades. You are just overwelmed by all thost parts all at once.
I messed up, and put massive cash into it, and havent drove it yet!!
(but i will be enjoying it when it is trail worthy)
Just keep in the back of your mind what you want it to be when your done!
NOTHING FLYS LIKE A BRONCO!!

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Yeah. I did some work this weekend.I feel beter. Just takes time and some playing hear and there.I will definatly need to get a welder. The inside fenders were just sitting there.so I cut them out and will try and weld the fenders and grill to make it a one piece.Then I will make a new rad support and support pieces to the firewall. Then I can just remove the front clip in seconds.

I was looking at the rad to install and I will have to notch the frame in front of the body supports. I have a explorer rad that will fit great and it is aluminum.I am moving most of the wiring and solinoids to the firewall. I have to run some new wire too, but I want it cleaned up.

I will get some progress pics up soon.

Thanks for the help fellow members.Keep the sujestions comming.

67broncorebuild

Loc.
stanwood Wa
Ya, that dosent look safe!!(steering arm)
Toms broncos has a adjustable steering arm. They run about $200, but its all there, you just bolt up, problem solved.
A bit pricy, but its the easy way to do it right!!

BG's 68 Bronco

oh sweet. Another owner in Alberta. I will send you a PM

Thanks guys. I guess steering is very important.Without that your just sitting there.

There's actually quite a few of us... check out 'who are my fellow canadians' and say hello.

Note there is also a CEB Calgary Early Bronco email list you can get hooked up on. The unfortunate thing is I've had to switch computers and my emails not the same, so i don't know the exact email address. I'm not sure if Malcolmzilla is the one running it...

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Yeah...not safe at all. and the steering column has half an inch play too....so very sloppy.

Great. hello fellow Albertian. I would love to get on that list. I might have to find out how to get on it.

commoncold

If you want an easy fix for the supports in the engine bay area, get yourself a good welder and find a metal fab shop near you. Take some measurements and install two layers tall of steel tubing where you support sheets used to be. For aesthetic reasons, just fab up some brackets to mount the fenders and grill to the tubing frame. I think it will run you about less than $100 and it stronger than stock support sheets in the case of trail "mishaps". In addition, you get the added bonus of more air flow to cool your engine.

This rig has potential, you just need to look past the tarnished paint and rust.

Bronk

Loc.
Somewhere in Sask.
Always great to see another Canuck on here..

If I remember correctlt there was a guy on kijiji edmonton selling a bunch of EB bronco Parts

And don't feel to bad better too beat on a beater truck than a pretty one.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Thanks guys. I feel alot better. With you guy's directing me in the right direction I feel much better about the project.Once I have her actually mobile next spring....i will probably forget all the other stuff. Thanks guys again.

Hey Bronk, Nice to meet you. I will check out kijiji Edm. I have a guy in Calgary with alot of stuff too but I really need to find a steering column and shaft.

Bronk

Loc.
Somewhere in Sask.
Welcome aboard

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do with the Last one I bought (IT might GO for Parts) I'll let you know if I gonna part it.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Well I removed the inner fenders and started to work on it. But I stopped because my garage is not insullated.So i did that today. I will get a welder and some tubing and start to do the rad support. Since I am offroad I will leave the inner fenders off and just make the front end a removable clip.Ease of working on the engine.In the future I can swap to a 1 piece fiberglass unit.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
To date I have done a rad support from 1x1 steel. Now I need a rad to finish the mock up. I am spot welding the front grill to the fenders so I have a 1 piece front end. I have removed stuff like the heater box and that box on the other side for fresh air.Was packed in mud. Tomorrow I will get all the stuff i need to move the wiring to inside the cockpit so as to keep the solinoid and ignition module dry.

Shitty part is I removed the really sloppy steering shaft out so I can replace it.As i was doing this I noticed that the bolt went through the shft on the steering column.Then when I went to pull the shaft out, thats when I noticed that the PO welded a steering wheel onto a long piece of round stock and shoved it into the column. Now I have to replace the steering column when I thought I just had to replace the end bearing in the column. Turning out to be an expensive toy.