• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wrecked bronco...the story continues.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Bent bronco

Kid, if I were you I would snap some photos, then post them here. There are more Early Bronco experts here than well...Anywhere...We all have one or two extra bodies layin around. Since we don't know where you are, we can't help much other than help via the web. Sorry if I'm blunt ... But I have had my bronco for almost 30 years, and after slamming the paint bit...it will straighten out again....good luck!

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I know that you want to believe that is is "not all that bad"... But sorry to tell you, it IS that bad... You now have a "parts vehicle"... You need an honest "gut check" with yourself and figure out three things:
1. An absolute budget
2. A realistic understanding of your available time to put into this
3. A realistic short term goal (long term goals are optional).
Here is a suggestion..
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4879078345.html
For what it is, Its cheap and looks like you could have a lot of fun with it. Part out any usable parts from your wrecked Bronco and be glad you are still alive. Your net loss shouldn't be more than a couple of grand.
Its free advice and worth exactly that much.... Good luck!

OX1

Bronco Guru
Looked at the pics. I would have a hard time believing that frame is not bent. May not look it at first glance, but it is.

I also agree with GF's father. You are looking at minimum of the entire body (floors and all) forward of the rear 1/4's and maybe a drivers 1/4.

If you can swing that $3200 for the body/frame, seems like a decent deal if not much true rot. Assume another $2000 min above that to get it all back on the road, and that is if you can do EVERYTHING yourself, including some minor body work.

Now if you have the cash, the time, a different daily driver, and some ability, you can get plenty of advice/guidance here.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
that bronco is beyond totalled. It also illistrates why you need ATLEAST a roll bar in one of these.

you are lucky to be alive

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I don't know how many different ways we can tell you that with your limited budget and limited mechanical skills, your EB is only good for parts now......

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I don't know how many different ways we can tell you that with your limited budget and limited mechanical skills, your EB is only good for parts now......

^^^ This ... Sorry.

And for the record Kid, I don't think you're an idiot. Just a kid ;) Now, when I was your age??? I WAS an idiot ;D

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Coming from someone that is in the auto body field. I wouldn't fix that and my labor would be free. It's way too much work and a waste of time. Find another Bronco

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Isaac....your girlfriend's dad was a body man, why don't you listen to him???
That was his livelihood - he most likely has more knowledge than many people on here (definately me!).

I was curious as to what you decided after the many PM's we exchanged a while back.

It seems to me, that you just want someone on this site to either 'approve' or to agree with you that everything is as you see it. The more answers/comments I read, the farther from the truth that seems to be.

KEEP the Bronco and buy yourself a driver for work - or did you already do that??? If you do this, you can accumulate the needed parts as they become available/affordable. Then, eventually, you can rebuild it. You keep saying budget is an issue and your lack of mechanical/body work skills is an issue - what about needed tools/lift, etc????? Lots of members here have taken years to build their rides.

I am NOT trying to 'kick you while you are down', but like most others are saying it doesn't seem realistic to rebuild without knowing the FULL extent of damage. What YOU see is what you WANT to see, not necessarily what is fact.

Hold off on driving the Bronco until you are a bit older - insurance should then be cheaper (DO NOT just get liability on it if you fix it or get another one!!!) and you will have more experience behind the wheel.

This last statement is not accusing you of any fault for the accident, BUT 16 year old boys are the HIGHEST (I think) group to insure, and there has got to be a reason for that. As I had told you earlier, I bought each of my 2 kids a $4000 (+/-) 4X4 for their first vehicle, just in case they had an accident. Neither has driven my Bronco (son is 16 and daughter is 21). I won't even let my wife drive it!!!!

Sorry for the long-winded post, guys. Felt I needed to say this.

Pops

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Isaac.......forgot to ask: How is your recovery coming along??????

That should have been the first thing I said -SORRY!!!!!!

Pops

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Buy another complete Bronco. Your current one is hosed. They aren't worth much to part out anyway. Save your money and buy one complete and finished.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Your Bronco is totaled, and beyond repair. Its not really any good for parts -because there aren't many left that aren't damaged. Get rid of the POS and move on w/ life...

In my young days I was a STUPID kid. I abused everything w/ an engine that I could get my hands on. I broke and detroyed more good equipment than I care to admit. It's amazing that I lived through these dumb years!

I have no idea if your stupid or not, what I do know is this:
You appear to be a young man that enjoys classic's and has crashed & destroyed a Bronco....you're lucky to be alive, but now its time to move forward w/ your life. Life itself is fickle, ALL of use have known people that died...sometimes good people die and sometimes its not fair or doesn't seem equitable.

Here's some fatherly advice:

No one owes you anything, and you have nothing coming for free. The "right" direction in life as a young man ready to join the work force, is looking forward to many years of hard & dedicated work! Nothing in life just "happens", its up to you to make things happen. Your an adult male and your expected to work and make your own mark in this world.

Work hard and work smart. Be respectful to yourself and to the world. Find some direction in life, some type of career that you can sink yourself into. "Success" isn't a measure of money, or education level, or material things. I'm a son and a dad, I know both sides.

All parents want thier kids to be successful, all kids want to be successful, my idea of success is reaching a personal level of being content w/ yourself. That inner feeling of "everything is cool", "I'm ok and life is good".
To a lot of common working class people this means having a nice career in life that you enjoy, getting married to some sweet girl and having a family...being a good provider for your family, being a good freind, a good husband, a good dad......and of course along the way you gotta have something for yourself -**after** your other obligations are fullfilled.

I had several Bronco's in the late 80's and early 90's. Through a series of events I tore them all up. Of course I always had this dream of "fixing them up". Every kid has this dream. However, its just an empty dream. When you're young you don't have the knowledge to rebuild/retore them, you don't have the expericne, or the time, or the money...its a hollow dream.

I carried the same dream since I was a 17 year old boy, I lived w/ this dream for 28 years.

Recently I have found myself with plently of time, grown kids that I'm proud of, a wonderful wife of many years thats still my sweetheart, lots of expericne working on old cars, plenty of money...and a well equiped shop full of tools! I just spent the last few months working on mine, now I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 77'.

So for now, go buy a 2003' four-door little car that gets good gas milage that you can buy for $2,800 bucks, use this machine to get back and forth to work daily.
Or join the Army and serve our great country -learn skills and mature as a man, or choose a local tech school, or go to a university for a formal college degree.

You don't have to stop dreaming, but you do have other more important priorites in life right now than some old Bronco you crashed.

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
That's the Bronco in question.

As said, it's a total loss. Stock parts aren't worth much. Maybe the tailgate is good for the body side.

You can probably part out the transfercase and transmission. The engine maybe. But none of that is going to make him any money.

At this point I would second the suggestion of buying a crappy daily driver and saving up to buy a complete Bronco.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I think the longer that truck sits at your place it prevents you from having closure on the incident. Fixing it would give closure, as that is what we all want to do when we have an accident. Fix it as soon as possible to lessen the stress of the incident. Since you can't do that, get rid of it. Part what you can and scrap the rest. One day another will come your way. Your money is much better served on another rig, one that will not be permanently tweaked..
I hope you are better. I see a 1995-2000 Honda Accord in your future. My wife's 2001 CR-V has 120k and looks brand spanking new. I wanted to get her a new vehicle, but she won't let me. Other than a few locks and window motors, it is unbelievable!

dao1980

Loc.
Chattanooga
Dern, that is one dead Bronco.

Glad to hear you're ok.
That looks plenty bad enough to kill a person... easily.

Again, glad to hear you survived it.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Whoaa said it best Kid...Pay Attention when an adult takes time to speak to you , listen up..Experience is expensive, heck so are broncos...even broncos that have no CRASH MARKS ON THEM...Good luck ..Oh I have never destroyed good equipment, but I have abused several pieces though