• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Years to build it and minutes to break something

brian72

Early Bronco Student
The rebuid took like 5 years. Lots of downtime in that time span. BUT in my first wheeling trip in the truck I managed to crack all 4 flares.%) %) %) %)

this is the worst of the bunch.

Attachments

• bolton_ 004.jpg
    bolton_ 004.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 168

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Aaaagggghhhhh:mad: You gotta hate that, and those thing are expensive!! Dude that sucks, and you cracked all 4!! Are those fiberglass? If so they can be fixed.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Good job! If you don't scratch, break or dent something you ain't wheeling hard enough!

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Flares are over-rated. I like tube fenders.

Somebody must make tube fenders like this for Broncos, right?

8987_lg.jpg

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Brian
Thats called self clearancing;) Looks like its time to get some new flares to clear those new shoes. If there is room I have also seen many flares that have carefully been trimmed back that still look good.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I will be trimming the lip that turns and is mocking the big rubber tire.

They were the Urethane Fender Flares from Duffs. The seems so brittle.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Wow I would have guessed they were fiberglass by the looks of how they cracked apart.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
TJK74 said:
Wow I would have guessed they were fiberglass by the looks of how they cracked apart.

Same here...I have tortured the crap out of my Warflares (one was ripped loose from the body..only the rivets broke..another was pushed almost insside out in to the wheel well and popped right back in to shape..) and have not the slightest crack or permanent deformation yet. I know that Duff does sell similar flares with respect to flexible material as the WH flares..those must not be them??

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
duffs sells 3 types - fiberglass - urethane - UFO

I would have to pull the receipt, but I swear I got the urethane ones...They are like 3 years old NEW.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
bmc69 said:
Same here...I have tortured the crap out of my Warflares (one was ripped loose from the body..only the rivets broke..another was pushed almost insside out in to the wheel well and popped right back in to shape..) and have not the slightest crack or permanent deformation yet. I know that Duff does sell similar flares with respect to flexible material as the WH flares..those must not be them??

Yep I have done nearly the same with my duraflex flares except for ripping them off the body. Mine are on with screws and are the old style with the smaller opening. My rear tires eat them all the time and they are constantly getting folded in or out and have yet to crack or break. Though from high speed stuffs in the dunes they have self clearanced a bit;D I actually wish they would break or rip off cause Ive wanted to get some warflares for a while now but can't seem to justify getting new flares when mine are still intact ;D

Projp

I used to have Duff's urethane flares and they will do what is in your pic. Currently have warflares with no chunks missing.

PS
I don't think is technicaly "breaking something" unless you have to walk home.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have Duff flares, don't remember if they are the urethane or the UFOs, but I know they aren't the fiberglass and I smacked a tree with them a couple of years ago and nothing split on mine, not even the paint.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
TJK74 said:

Nope, the Fiberglass never tear completely clean from what I have seen. The urethane flares always shatter or have clean breaks in them. X100000 on the war flares, they are awesome...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
You need to roll it or at least lay it on the side..........%)

Add a few dents and crunches...................

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I can relate. Took mine to Superlift park in Hot Springs on it's maiden wheeling trip. Hit a tree on the Gorge trail with the right quarter panel, pretty much the only tree on the trail. I'll give another thumbs up for the warflares.