• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

York Modification??

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
My discharge port is on the wrong side. What I am wondering is the head seams to be symmetrical, can I remove the head and valves, and turn them 180 degrees to reverse the positions of my ports??
I am discharging alot of oil, the compressor is at 45 degrees with my discharge port on the bottom, and I have already plugged off the front port in behind the front seal.

TIA!!
Dave C.

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
YOUR DISCHARGE PORT ( AIR OUT) SHOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM. tHE AIR INTAKE SHOULD BE ON THE TOP. THE OIL COMING OUT MAY BE DUE TO OVER FILLING, I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE I JUST HAVEN'T HAD THE TIME TO CHECK THE LEVEL.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=BRONKEN link=board=5;threadid=15803;start=0#msg119672 date=1049036335]
YOUR DISCHARGE PORT ( AIR OUT) SHOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM. tHE AIR INTAKE SHOULD BE ON THE TOP. THE OIL COMING OUT MAY BE DUE TO OVER FILLING, I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE I JUST HAVEN'T HAD THE TIME TO CHECK THE LEVEL.
[/quote]
Not sure what you mean top and bottom? The York compressors have both "suction" and "discharge" on the head of the compressor. I do not beleive you can rotate the head 180 degrees because these ports are different sizes - I'm not sure though, cause I never have disected a York pump before

OP
OP
M

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
BRONKEN - I am taking some of the oil out, so hopefully that will make some difference, but I read a tidbit (after I had bought my York, mounted it and ran it) that suggested getting one that would put the discharge port highest, to help minimize oil discharge.
Waverous, by top and bottom I mean than when leaning on a 45 degree angle, the discharge port sits lower than the suction. The ports are still both on the head, but the discharge port sits lowest of the 2 ports.

OP
OP
M

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
What type of oil should/could I run?? I have mineral oil in it now, factoring in that is what it originally used, but I just read that someone was using SAE30 in it? Thoughts?

Morpheus

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I've been messing with the York for the last couple of weeks. I too have a ton of oil coming out the discharge port. The position I wanted it mounted was on its side due to space limitaions (with the intake on top and discharge below). It pumped a whole lot of oil. So I temporarily mounted it straight up just to try it. It still pumped oil, but less. So I bought a coalecsing filter from Kilby. It trapped the oil, but it shortly seemed to overwhelm the filter and began to spew oil (within 3-4 min of constant running. I tried plugging the port in front of the bearing and it seemed to spew more oil. So I tried other Yorks (my 4th one now). They all acted the same. I tried calling Kilby for tech support, but they won't help unless you actually buy a compressor from them. So I took one apart to see what was wrong. It seems that the Yorks have a crankcase and a combustion chamber where the air is compressed. The only vent for the crankcase that I could see was the port in front of the main bearing (the one they tell you to plug-this port connects to the suction chamber). Two pistons with comression rings. No oil rings. So I thought I would try plugging the port in front of the bearing and venting the crankcase by removing one of the fill plugs just to see what would happen (York is still mounted upright). Still oil spewing but a lot less. All in all I don't know what the fix is. I gave up for now. Oh, and I did rotate the head without any ill effects. You'll just need a gasket kit because the old ones tore when I took it apart. What pisses me off, is that my old man built a homade garage compressor using a York 25 years ago and it still works without any oil discharge to this day. Go figure. If any one comes up with a fix, I'm interested. Still want to get this working.
Thx, and sorry so long.
Gary