• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yukon Grizzly Locker!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That will be my next locker when the current Detroit goes out...

BRONCOBERT

My Detroit Locker works so well on the street I was questioning if it had really been installed in their? No chirping, clunking or other noises. I only have low test miles on the street and no off road experience with it. Every one tells me that I will have chirping going around corners which I have not heard yet.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I got my Strange Case (new) and "old school" Detroit Locker (used) from Nine Inch Nodular on ebay. Only paid $240 bucks including bearings. I could not be happier. They were really cool about service after the sale.
BTW. That completely assembled unit from JBG is nice, really nice, but setting up the gears in a 9" is "super" easy. You can definitely do it....and save some money. But if you do buy that complete JBG unit you can sell your original as a whole unit and differ some of the cost of the JBG unit.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My Detroit Locker works so well on the street I was questioning if it had really been installed in their? No chirping, clunking or other noises. I only have low test miles on the street and no off road experience with it. Every one tells me that I will have chirping going around corners which I have not heard yet.

Maybe it is one of those Detroit Soft Lockers. I have heard they are much quiter than my "old school" Detroit.
Mine barks, chirps, and clunks beautifully haha.

BRONCOBERT

Ya maybe? I did the proper function test yesterday and its definitely in their and working as it should. I did feel and hear a faint clunk as I was testing it. My 331 and dual Flowmasters may be too loud to hear it on the streets. LOL!

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Moto - how did your install go? JBG has a complete 3rd member with the grizzly for $900. Was considering that for ease of install. I'm no expert in this regard.

I was waiting till the stampede was over before install. I will be pulling the axles and 3rd member tonight. 70_Steve will be doing the setup for me. I will let you know.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Greg - what is your overall use for the Bronco, street vs. trail? Are you going from an open diff to the Grizzly, or from some other traction device?

Thanks!

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
My Bronco sees heavy trail use.... and I love to drive it to work with my top off! I've been running a spool since 2004 because it was cheap. But the spool sucks on the pavement when turning corners. I am eating tires and ujoints from the stress on the streets.

I need to go back to a locker and the Grizzly came highly recommended. I am pulling the third member tonight.... will try and take pictures along the way and share the install.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
My Bronco sees heavy trail use.... and I love to drive it to work with my top off! I've been running a spool since 2004 because it was cheap. But the spool sucks on the pavement when turning corners. I am eating tires and ujoints from the stress on the streets.

I need to go back to a locker and the Grizzly came highly recommended. I am pulling the third member tonight.... will try and take pictures along the way and share the install.

Ya when i was looking for the best prices on the Detroit all the vendors kept telling me i should look into the grizzly so it's the new locker that everyone seems to be getting today.
@ Fireball: You have a PM from me earlier today. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I'm running the Detroit in the rear and a grizzly in the D44 up front. I am very happy with it so far but only have one really hard week on it. Performed flawlessly.

BRONCOBERT

What would the reason be for running a locker up front, when you lock your hubs isn't the front end fully locked?

Hank_

Bronco Guru
What would the reason be for running a locker up front, when you lock your hubs isn't the front end fully locked?

No it is not fully locked. The front differential works the same as the rear. Most front axles are open where either the left or the right tire will have traction but not both. The front locker allows you to have both tires locked. Driving on the road you usually would not want the front locked as it makes the vehicle pull and wonder all over the place.

Henry