• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What, what, what the hell happened??

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Are you SURE that it isnt the drive shaft? Mine did the exact same thing last summer. My first thought was the transfer case or transmission.

Drive shaft appears to be fine AND I could not get the front wheel drive to engage, so pretty sure it is not the drive shaft.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drive shaft appears to be fine AND I could not get the front wheel drive to engage, so pretty sure it is not the drive shaft.

Like Viper said, if it will hold in park it isn't anything from the C4 output shaft back. It has to be something in the C4.

gladkin

If the splines of the output shaft sheared off or the spud shaft on the transfer case went out you would see that problem. Try putting it in gear on blocks and see if you have free rotation of the wheels. Listen at the front of the transfer case adapter for sounds of free metal in there.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I don't live far from Phoenixville if you take it out and want to look inside. It took me two times to get my perfect but I now know a little about C4s. I can't recommend a shop - they are all morons.

Taking them in and out is the tough part. Rebuild parts are $200-$300 plus a converter.

You may not need it so triple check. Take the pan off too and see what good stuff is in there.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Taking them in and out is the tough part.

Yesterday, I along with 2 others pulled a C4 from a running Bronco, replaced burnt clutches and got it back in and running within 6 hours. That included the lunch break and rear main seal replacement.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Yesterday, I along with 2 others pulled a C4 from a running Bronco, replaced burnt clutches and got it back in and running within 6 hours. That included the lunch break and rear main seal replacement.

Well, Sum-bitch, sure wish to hell you lived in eastern PA...:cry:

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Ya' know, my guy said it was fine on tranny fluid,,,,what if he was wrong?????????

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What would that mean regarding the probable shape of it?

If it was just low it wouldn't work in any gear. Park would still work. That doesn't explain the big bang but it makes sense to double check the level. It's possible to burn some bushings up like that but it would take a while I think.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru

Takes me 6 hours just to clean the case.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
We skipped that part. It was a no budget, got to be fixed today, driveway rebuild.

Ranchtruck

If you just recently put the motor in Id check the flexplate to torque converter bolts.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Hey, somewhat back looking into this now that it's above sub zero in the garage.

I looked closely at the tranny pan and damn, it kinda' appears to have smooth dimples in front of that teardrop type of recessed area in the middle of the pan. Kind of like rolling dimples where something might have smacked in there half dozen times. I know, easiest thing to do is pull the damn thing and take a look, but what a mess. Its gonna' have to come out so will just do that when it is pulled. I was just wondering if by describing it to you tranny knowledgeable folks whether you have a better educated guess????

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey, somewhat back looking into this now that it's above sub zero in the garage.

I looked closely at the tranny pan and damn, it kinda' appears to have smooth dimples in front of that teardrop type of recessed area in the middle of the pan. Kind of like rolling dimples where something might have smacked in there half dozen times. I know, easiest thing to do is pull the damn thing and take a look, but what a mess. Its gonna' have to come out so will just do that when it is pulled. I was just wondering if by describing it to you tranny knowledgeable folks whether you have a better educated guess????

If something tried to force it's way out of the pan you have big problems because it would have gone through the valve body first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you ever check the fluid level? If the shop filled it but didn't keep refilling it after the initial run-in (unless you did that part?) then the level could easily have been low as the fluid was pumped through the system after first startup.

Paul