• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake booster, master cylinder issue

TJRATT01

Hello,

I am finally installing a power booster I purchased several years ago. The booster has a short pushrod and the master cylinder is deep bore that came with a bore adapter. When I install the bore adapter it protrudes about 5/16” past master cylinder so it hits the push rod 1/2” befor the cylinder flange contacts the booster. The kit also came with a long pushrod. I have disc brakes front drums. I am looking for ideas on how I can make this setup work. Unfortunately I have had this kit so long I don’t remember where I purchased it from.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Something doesn't sound right about your situation, but with that said, I'd just machine down the pushrod spacer the amount needed to achieve .015" to .020" free play between the output rod and MC and call it a day.

Alternatively, use the long output rod on the booster with the deep pushrod hole MC (w/o the spacer) and save yourself the effort assuming the parts are what you say they are. I would assume that you would have done that already if you could...but you know what they say about assumptions.

Tobin

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure the insert is in all the way? If you pull it out and measure the depth of the recess, is it consistent with how far the insert sticks out? If not, you may just need to push it harder to get past the o-ring it probably has.
If it's too big, that sucks. They're supposed to be sized for the master, but I just recently saw pics of the back of a master that was deep, but sure looked too shallow to accept the insert. He ended up making his own of the proper size, but his kit (bought used) did not have one for reference so he could not compare what he made to what commonly comes with the kits.

If the insert does not work, I would certainly try the longer rod end instead of that hex-head thingy that's already in there. Probably a better interface anyway.
What you're experiencing may be why some kits come with an actual spacer that's the correct thickness and fits between the master and booster flanges.
But since you still have options, give them a try.

Paul