• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died on way home!! *Alive again!! Thanks CB.com

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Bronco to work on these hot days w. no doors has been awesome until tonight. Cruising along and the radio goes beep, beep, beep like it always does when I shut the ignition off. Truck was still running for a few seconds and then died. No lights, no smoke, no noises, nothing. Dead. No headlights, radio, no nothing. Of course I was downtown (for all of the town to witness) and was able to coast to the side of the road, but everyone going by giving thumbs up had no idea how aggravated I was. Popped the hood and everything looked fine. AAA towed it home and helped me push it into the garage. OK., what happened? Of course my multi-meter is at camp (all the tools I need at home are always at camp it seems). I jumped the starter sol. batt. side terminal to the "S" terminal and the truck turned over normally. So, battery must be good. It's got to be something right after the battery I think. Anyone know if there is a giant fuse or fusible link before getting to the ignition switch maybe? My manual doesn't show it.

Paul

Last edited:

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
If your truck is all similar to stock there should be a fusible link in the wire bolted to the battery side of the starter solenoid that feeds power to the fuse block. Sometimes you can squeeze the wire and notice where it goes soft like ther is nothing there.

OP
OP
piack

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Did a search for fusible links and it sounds like what I have going on. I'll check that and go from there.

16A ??

OP
OP
piack

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Always at the worst time of course.

Yes, "Murphy's law" and I are good friends.

Thanks Fuzzy also. I'll get into that wiring harness and see what's going on. I wonder now what might have triggered it?

I've heard that electrical issues are all about keeping the smoke in the wires. Once you let the smoke out, you are SOL. I need to find where the smoke came out I guess.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Did a search for fusible links and it sounds like what I have going on. I'll check that and go from there.

16A ??

16 gauge. You'll want to find out why it blew before you put another on. Your ohmmeter would be handy for that, if it wasn't at camp.

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Yea not always an easy task, if i remember it right the other end of that wire goes under the dash to the fuse block, to the amp meter and then back out to the alternator charge terminal. Hopefully you find it in the engine bay where it is easy to work.

abe_froman

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
I hear ya man

2 weeks ago my EB died on me and I had to have it towed home. I swear I saw more people that I know on that sad trip home than I've seen in months. Everybody just looked and pointed and I could read their lips asking "Isn't that Cody's truck?"

sigh...

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Mine did that over the summer, it was the ignition control module. I have an upgraded duraspark II ignition. Don't know if yours is stock or not.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
THAT sucks Paul, let me know if you need anything okay?

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I haven't needed AAA since I sold my Bronco. I hope to need them again soon. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hdfx81

Paul,if you need a multi-meter or any help don't hesitate to call.

OP
OP
piack

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
post your findings

OMG!!!!!!

Ok, thank you all for your tips and hints! Been poking at it off and on tonight and reading tips and poking around.

The Fusible link from the battery side of the starter solenoid wire was the obvious culprit. Disconnected it and started unwrapping it. Back about 8" from the solenoid was a splice twisted and taped. Why bother with solder when a little tape will hold it...not. I guess someone has been here before.

Put 2 and 2 together, hit the key and music filled the garage, dancing girls came out of the woodwork and the stig is happy again!

OK, now what's the right way to fix it? New wire from the starter solenoid to??

Paul