• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died on way home!! *Alive again!! Thanks CB.com

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
more tape! you've seen my truck :cry:;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, now what's the right way to fix it?

Who cares, enjoy the dancing girls!;)

If the fusible link has become detached from the large black wire I would use a large butt connector to reattach it. Then wrap it up so water can't get into it. You could solder it and shrink wrap but that makes replacement harder in the future.

OP
OP
piack

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Who cares, enjoy the dancing girls!;)

If the fusible link has become detached from the large black wire I would use a large butt connector to reattach it. Then wrap it up so water can't get into it. You could solder it and shrink wrap but that makes replacement harder in the future.

Thanks, good idea. Much happier today having a simple wire fix rather than chasing down the cause of the failure.

"Earl" was just a little rain going by last night. Dodged a couple bullets I'd say in the last 24 hrs.

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
My question is why has some one spliced that wire under the hood if it feeds power to the ignition switch, does that wire have any circuit protection other than the fusible link?

Sorry I am not trying to make more work for you, I have been taught to not stop at the point that repairs the problem unless all questions as to why have been answered.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My question is why has some one spliced that wire under the hood if it feeds power to the ignition switch, does that wire have any circuit protection other than the fusible link?

The fusible link is a maintenance item and the splice is there to attach it. It commonly blows when changing the alternator with the battery still connected. It was probably replaced by cutting the old one off and attaching the new one with bare minimal skill.

The fusible link is the circuit protection for the main power wire. It needs to be 60 amp capable in the stock configuration. High output alternators may overpower the link and the main power wire unless an alternate path is provided for alternator output.