• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died on the way home...help!!!

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Sounds like we have spark and fuel. I would now, check for TDC (Top Dead Center) on the number 1 cyclinder and make sure the rotor is pointing at the plug on the cap that would be number 1 and your hermonic balancer is at 0 if you have one, you may also have to mark this with a pen on the side of the distributor.(follow the instructions on the link from MI-Bronco)

If the rotor is not on top of the number 1 plug postion in the distributor then your out of time.

How do the All plugs look after you have tried to turn over? soaked in gas or dry?

If they are dry then thats a good thing, so they can fire. If they are wet of gas or water,Then you may have another problem and the plugs are becoming wet fouled and will not fire.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Turned out to be the timing chain. On top of that, the engine leaked oil from every gasket and with the timing chain gone, I just put a reman'd engine in. I wanted to do it myself a little later, but just decided to let a local shop put it in. After they got the old engine out, I went to take a look at it. The timing chain had a lot of slack in it and there were chunks of metal and plastic in the oil pan from the sprocket. So all is well, I am up and running and the engine purrs. Thanks for all of the advice and help.

Will

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I would guess that since you pulled the distrubtor out and looked at it.. I would say your timing is now off. It wont start if it is sparking at the wrong time.. will also seem like it is having a hard time starting .. or doing a lot of work.

I dont think yout delema requires a new engine.for $2500.. you can rent a car for a few days while you work this out. Take a deep breath and start with the basics.

oh.. what color is the spark?.. and I too vote for the ignition box.