• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died while driving

chuck1022

Contributor
It is getting fuel, no spark. Changed the ignition module, no spark, changed the coil, no spark.... . Those were my "go to moves", now i am out of ideas.....any thoughts of what i should check next

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Oh boy, its a 1977. The ignition control module has two plugs, one with 2 wires and one with 4 wires. Maybe i should take a picture?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We love pictures!
And you came to the right person there with buckaroo. He's got a '77 too and has been around and under it a time or three.

And from the sound of it, it just stopped instantly? Didn't cough or sputter like it was running low on gas or anything?
Anyway, lots of things to check with the ignition. Right from the switch on the dash, to the wires, to the module and even the trigger in the distributor. Those things are super reliable, but now after 40 years they seem to be the culprit in more than just a few cases.

You're going to need to be testing a few things it seems.
Did it fire right back up and get you home at least? Or is it dead in the water still?

Good luck.

Paul

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Happened to me today. Stripped the distributor gear. See if your rotor is turning when you crank the engine.

Pictures of my carnage.

Attachments

• IMG_9627.jpg
    IMG_9627.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9628.jpg
    IMG_9628.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
It did not fire back up, still DIW. Will check to see if rotor is spinning. I was driving down the road, let off the gas, it died, never started since

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the pickup coil in the distributer with an ohm meter. Unplug the distributer. On the distributor side check the ohms between the purple an orange wires. You are looking for 400 to 1000 ohms. If out of spec replace the pickup coil. Use only motorcraft part. Cheep parts have known problems in this application. It is a very precision part and not to be taken lightly.

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Check the pickup coil in the distributer with an ohm meter. Unplug the distributer. On the distributor side check the ohms between the purple an orange wires. You are looking for 400 to 1000 ohms. If out of spec replace the pickup coil. Use only motorcraft part. Cheep parts have known problems in this application. It is a very precision part and not to be taken lightly.

What are the odds you have a part number, i cant find it

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Is this it

Found it on napa?

Attachments

• NWMDC.jpg
    NWMDC.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 25

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I will look for the part number tomorrow. And post it if i find it. I had to replace mine 2 years ago after carrying it fo over 30 years as a spare part. I did buy another replacement so i have to hunt for it.

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Im not mechanical, is it easier to replace the whole ditributor vs the coil pickup, what takes less time

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Looks to me like you should be able to replace it without removing the distributor.
Here's a tutorial on recurving the distributor. It shows how to disassemble and reassemble it.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2.html

The advantage of using your existing distributor is you know the advance curve is correct. If you just buy one from an auto parts store, it can be from a number of applications, and may not be correct.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its a 10 minute replacement in the truck.
pop the cap.
Pull the rotor.
unplug the distributer.
unclip the vacuum canister arm ( dont loose the small c clip )
take 2 large screwdrivers and pry up the crown ( reluctor wheel )
dont loose the small roll pin that locates the reluctor wheel to index it to the distributer shaft.
remove the round wire retaining ring under the crown that holds the stator down.
remove the screw that hold the wires to the distributer body
pull up the wires and the stator assembly and replace with the new one.
may have to take out the 2 screws holding the vacuum canister to gey it out of the way I don't remember.
Reverse all steps to put it back together.
took longer to type this than do the job.

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
Its a 10 minute replacement in the truck.
pop the cap.
Pull the rotor.
unplug the distributer.
unclip the vacuum canister arm ( dont loose the small c clip )
take 2 large screwdrivers and pry up the crown ( reluctor wheel )
dont loose the small roll pin that locates the reluctor wheel to index it to the distributer shaft.
remove the round wire retaining ring under the crown that holds the stator down.
remove the screw that hold the wires to the distributer body
pull up the wires and the stator assembly and replace with the new one.
may have to take out the 2 screws holding the vacuum canister to gey it out of the way I don't remember.
Reverse all steps to put it back together.
took longer to type this than do the job.

holy christ, got it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta go buy new one now

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
ok, got it all back together and it starts and runs.....but it Lopes...., not running as smooth as it was before. It was the distributor stator coil thing......any ideas on this new issue

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
ok, got it all back together and it starts and runs.....but it Lopes...., not running as smooth as it was before. It was the distributor stator coil thing......any ideas on this new issue

maybe I screwed up the vacuum advance.....? if I disconnect it and it drives the same, then that is it right?