• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco died & won't run

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Ok this is old BB Bronco. 300 cid . This old bronco has set for about the last 5 years but this summer My Son wanted me to get it running as this is the one he likes to drive.
.. So I'd got it running Plugs battery AND new gas . I uses a electric fuel pump to suck all the old fuel out & Put in new 93opt fuel.
It's ran for about a month around the farm .. So maybe 10 miles or so .. But this weekend it died several times & was hard to start . Finally I had to have it towed back to the house . I assumed it was the fuel pump being 20 years old. But I replaced the fuel line hose & put on a new fuel filter PUT THE OPEN END OF THE FUEL line into a clear plastic POP BOTTLE ..
Turned it over & THE FUEL PUMP HAD A BIG SPLASH INTO the filter each stroke. So It's not the fuel pump . So I sprayed a little shot of either in it & It starts for a minute but dies But each time I either it it starts for a moment. So It's not on the ignition side.
.... So that old fuel filter had what looked to be a lot of sandy rust particials in it .. But what was pumped up into the clear drink cup today was very clean.
............. I'm thinking take the carb off & pour the crap out of it . What's your thoughts.
... plenty of battery .

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oh Well? Time to post it on "let it go".

Or rebuild / clean the carb.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
To days ethanol based fuels sure won't last long.
After a month it can begin to go bad.
Pa I think that carb is gummed up.

Try some starbrite in the tank next time. It has enzymes or something that like to eat the bad stuff in this ethanol based fuel when it goes bad.

Excellent product for boats, mowers, etc...where fuel sits awhile. Kind of amazing stuff....much different than Sta-bil.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/STAR-TRON-8-o..._clickID=3aab315f-a038-49aa-9f5c-88991f0311be

But for now.....your gonna have to clean out that carb.

Tony Mele

No expert here, but with all that crap you mentioned in the fuel filter, I'd pull the carb and clean it out. If you're taking it apart, might as well rebuild it. Can't hurt. Especially since she starts up with a shot of fuel, so you know you have spark. Sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem, and it seems you've got fuel to the carb now.

And...also what the previous posters said about additives. I used to ride old Harley's, and it was amazing how much that old gas would gum up in the carbs and lines. And that was after just a winter sitting. I eventually got in the habit of draining all my tanks, lines, etc. before putting 'em away.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Not to have you run in a different direction but based on a recent experience I would have to ask if you are positive its fuel? I had fuel issues that I corrected... as fate would have it during the work I had a ballast resistor go out. Whole thing through me through a loop until I ran a hot wire from battery to coil and the vehicle ran. I posted the results of the test and a member suggested I test the resistor. Bingo issue resolved.

If when the starter is engaged if it appears as though it wants to run I would give the battery to coil wire a quick test.

May not be your issue but its an easy thing to rule out.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. OK You GUYS THAT POSTED . I COULDN'T Find this post the last 2 nights. Thanks for your thoughts .
... So the Bronco had a belt noise . I'd eliminated the alternator .. Because I broke the old one when I pulled it off too check it.. $45.00 mistake. So I have a new alt. & still have a belt slipping noise .. So I TOOK THE BELT OFF THE P/S pump still have noise... Dang .. So I GOT DOWN TO THE w/p .. Bearing is loose & it's very noisy ... OK GOT IT . Pulled the W/PUMP & REPLACED IT ... SO .. I CRANKED IT UP .. wow it started up & idled for a minute . Belt noise was back . .. I killed it .. Noise can't be back .. Really ..
..... Well I DIDN'T HAVE water back in it .. Because it was very late at night & I didn't want to clean up the mess & I got about 10 cats in the shop . I don't want to find a dead cat & remove it. Stinking ass. So I cranked it without water . I'll fill it tomorrow & give it a 2nd try. It can't really have the same noise .
... But after setting it started up with no issue .. Started about 10 turns .
... So I'll check it again tomorrow. I hate repairs that don't make since. .. SO WILL SOFT TRASH Pass through the cab. OR DO YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THE CARB TO GET THE CRAP OUT OF IT..
..............................................1950's TV AD.........................
.....................IT'S 10:00 O'Clock , DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE..................

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. So A 2ND GRAND SON SHOWED UP TO HELP ON THE FARM this SATURDAY .. He built 2 ''H'' Braces . & then moved some round bales of hay from the hay Meadow to the Hay Trap . I got the water pump finished on the Bronco & it started up rather easy. But I WAS SO BUSY that after I got antifreeze back into it & it running. I never had time to drive it. So It setting parked just out of the shop door.
I had my 2 boys working on more fence & they were hand digging 4 bad holes for the 2 ''H'' 's Tanner built. They got them 2'6'' in 3+ hours . Ouch lots of work.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man I was still so busy I never got to drive it again today . But I did get it filled with antifreeze & the radiator cap back in place.
Then it started with no choke & I let it ideal for maybe 10 or 15 minutes while I completed another project. I ran & never died. The belt still squalls when It's started but It doesn't while it idling.
.. So Maybe I CAN DRIVE IT TOMORROW evening when I get home .
.. I already had to walk back to the home about 3:00 from the very back of my place . When I GOT TO THE HOUSE i COULD HEAR MY SON NEXT DOOR ON HIS MULE
so I gave him a phone call & said give me a ride . I'm tired. Nice it's good to have a good neighbor.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
So I went & cranked it while setting in the shop . I stomped it twice & It fired right up & idealed fine.
So then I gave it some gas & It sure had the cold hesitation. I didn't drive it again. As I don't have time this morning before I go off to work.
I'm wondering if it's just cold since it has a hand choke or will it still need to be pulled & cleaned out. Maybe I can get it driven this evening.
.... Well Hell I got home after work today & didn't feel well so I went to bed & now it dark .
Felt sick most of the evening .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK so it is my Birthday today . My lovely wife wanted me to go eat dollar hanburgers tonight .. No I got farming to do. At 67 you don't care if you piss um off.
.. So I got home & Cranked my big tractor I've been having trouble with . My Grand Son left it outside about 2 weeks ago . So I cranked it & replowed over this little house food plot for deer & then I put it back into my shop .
.. Then I got the Bronco out of the garage & drove it .. It ran sweet . I drove it down the county road for about 5 miles. Not an issue . sweet . I hope it'll do that in the future .