• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help installing Tom's bronco parts power steering pump

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I'm doing a steering overhaul on my 66 and I'm working on installing the power steering pump on my engine. I just finished building it, it's a 351w. I ordered the power steering pump kit from Tom's bronco parts with the 351 specific bracket.

The holes don't line up between the bracket and the water pump, and I can't figure out which hole the stud mounts to for the pump brace itself.

Has anybody ever put one of these on before who has pictures? I've been digging for a while and can't seem to find any good ones
JDrt87I.jpg

8Gfnc4Y.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Bronco water pumps have the hose on the passenger side. I see in the photo yours is drivers side.

On my 351, I had to use an adapter that mounts to the head and relocates the mounting hole to the correct spot for the 302 accessories.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
2db7a1f7fe9684d05977eb419e44c75a.jpg

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Bronco water pumps have the hose on the passenger side. I see in the photo yours is drivers side.

On my 351, I had to use an adapter that mounts to the head and relocates the mounting hole to the correct spot for the 302 accessories.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
2db7a1f7fe9684d05977eb419e44c75a.jpg
Ah, I wasn't aware broncos had a model specific water pump. This engine came out of an 87 f150, so that makes sense. Would it make more sense to just get an adapter, or to get a correct water pump?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are running a V-belt, you will want a Bronco specific water pump. That way the hose will be on the correct side to match the radiator. Also there is a slight difference in waterpump shaft distance from the crankshaft, so a Bronco waterpump will line the fan up with the shroud better as well.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
If you are running a V-belt, you will want a Bronco specific water pump. That way the hose will be on the correct side to match the radiator.
Yeah, I noticed that while hunting for an aluminum radiator; they all seemed to be one the wrong side. Guess having the right water pump would fix that problem 😂
A Bronco waterpump will line the fan up with the shroud better as well.
I plan on running an electric fan up front, but this is good to know if I ever change my mind!
Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Won’t the V-belts also be turning the water pump backwards? An 87 would have been a serpentine drive system originally, which would have utilized a reverse flow water pump and housing cover. Correct?

I guess it depends on what all you have purchased so far. If you’re still using a stock orientation Radiator and are dead set on running V belts, then I would imagine the correct water pump and probably a new timing cover would be your best bet.
Then again, this might be your opportunity to just go all in and replace the entire front drive set up with that from an explorer.
It still keeps the water pump Inlet on the “wrong” side, but that’s a surmountable problem and it has other advantages.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
this timing cover has a mechanical fuel pump pictured doesnt that negate a reverse rotation water pump?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct, pretty much. Good call.
Maybe the OP has already converted over to the old bronco stuff? Without the pump?

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Correct, pretty much. Good call.
Maybe the OP has already converted over to the old bronco stuff? Without the pump?
My old bronco has a 170 I6, so no converting going on there. The water pump I understand, but why would it need a new timing cover? Different bolt pattern or different size?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
this timing cover has a mechanical fuel pump pictured doesnt that negate a reverse rotation water pump?
Mechanical pump existed during the reverse rotation days. The reverse rotation water pump in a small block Ford started in '79 on the mustang. For the early years of EFI they just bolted a block off plate on the timing cover before finally removing the boss.

Hopefully the OP checked if there is a fuel pump ecentric on the front of the cam gear. If not the mechanical pump won't be a pumping.

As for different timing covers for the different water pumps. The bolt pattern is the same. But the curve that catches the water spinning off the pump is aimed for the other direction. It will flow, just not as smooth as it should.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Mechanical pump existed during the reverse rotation days. The reverse rotation water pump in a small block Ford started in '79 on the mustang. For the early years of EFI they just bolted a block off plate on the timing cover before finally removing the boss.

Hopefully the OP checked if there is a fuel pump ecentric on the front of the cam gear. If not the mechanical pump won't be a pumping.

As for different timing covers for the different water pumps. The bolt pattern is the same. But the curve that catches the water spinning off the pump is aimed for the other direction. It will flow, just not as smooth as it should.
There is an ecentric on the end of the cam for the fuel pump. Will the timing cover I have now work or would I be better off getting a different one?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pull the pump off. Look at the ports that transition the water from the pump into the block. I can't tell you from the outside of the cover.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I just found this pic online & can't confirm any of the part numbers. But if you look at the cover on the bottom right you can see the difference in the water pump ports compared to the other covers.
attachment.php

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I just found this pic online & can't confirm any of the part numbers. But if you look at the cover on the bottom right you can see the difference in the water pump ports compared to the other covers.
attachment.php
From the looks of it, I've got 302FP. I've got a little tube with some wires sticking out on the passenger side, I'd assume that's a crank sensor.

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
All right, so I got the correct water pump. I ordered a new reproduction for a 70 bronco with a 302 and it fits the engine / timing cover perfectly. My bracket for the power steering pump also actually mounts to the engine now, so that's a huge improvement. Unfortunately, this leads me to two new problems...

First off, I don't see where the stud for the power steering pump is meant to go. The hole for the stud lines up with the head freeze plug, not with any of the threaded holes. The other problem is with the pump snout being lower, my current crank pulley is too large and hits the water pump pulley.
vmBDKx8yKTbTGVihc-rfmrCub_-S4cZbOJUa4wKc30ZLVC_y9uocYpuuLoXkqqeS0zxZFF0boLPrHUK2XboaxykXMD-gfc6AsSTFoftNw_4tjktCVL61zZoP3nb8OgrKDo6NS34TgJl7W32LGSLNb9ffRjLjtmrmUR-LBkrzH1VxGw5vP1UYtDdCU00THkJZXSNH2zZGb5bGkDpY0IF90zadS1Es_xF4iF_6Klo91Md1OUZYYBQqUco_ctuicZFmgab4en1-9ZylViuLuedHVr6FYLOdiVrJaDjxoCKvCCKeJxEkW-2229Fwfmxho5kdhXxm8I2dp7568V1YJt-tBzDvDp2IpLtJGHp4OM7K0nk_Bs1Bfoewh2so6QcejYrWDnSVkqT_C-_pwQATpRVrttuu_la2rGk5XPK3f8M4EkoRUQ_fA31F10hW-VYKSFiJNn-pmtGUI1UcXwTqbU_9GEJ-n2on1NFm2RM4rGGrcxDo7CsOy7zK-kwmxDih4SveIgPzwqK7PJAtvaAVtVkZKTm_LzYdhFuzpkO3VVpNcy856Gtszo2MtzJeL4sMxHdGx-QZMmL_E3fdoxi5TdsQ9oMZ-h9zmnH3rzCd28ynKxeEzRYl6kkUlqswVnwUU6WBIOQuEcku2y1qVrmuXxeZF2Zr4cVg3WVxaXGiPTvr_IfFWvwjwhLISV5KC2AHKrAbsohExZNfl7SA9eXlqjx36ZlK=w2573-h3431-no

Has anybody got a link for the correct crank pulley?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There is another small ps bracket for the 351w. It's like $15 from most of the vendors. It bolts to both holes in the head with a threaded hole in the center (over the freeze plug) for the long bolt or stud. Wh sells a stud that's threaded on each end that can be easier to work with if the radiator is installed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The picture in post 2 shows one of those brackets on the Alternator side. The other one is just a mirror image for the power steering side.