• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np205 fit issues?

bwjohn

someone recently told me that there are some fit issues with the np205.

namely it doesn't fit between the frame, is this the case? what mods if any need to be made there?

Also, they suggested that the gearing is actually not that great? thoughts?

thanks for the info, brandon

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will fit between the frame , yes the low gear is a bit higher

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Fit between the frame rails?
Yes, without modifications.

Gearing?
Low range is only 1.96 to 1, and there is no low gear set made for the Ford version.
Your only option for lower gearing is a doubler gearbox, those add several inches of length to the drivetrain.

The other issues are:
It is heavy so needs extra support.
If you use it with modern Ford round mounting flange transmission a notch needs to be cut in the flange to clear one of the shift rails.

TFD32

Yes, it will fit. Gearing is a little bit higher.

Attachments

• iphone 021.jpg
    iphone 021.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 344
  • iphone 022.jpg
    iphone 022.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 278

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much of a concern is the low ratio vs the strength?
What transmission and tire size and gear ratios will you be running?
And are you planning to do much off-roading in the first place? I assume maybe yes, due to the fact that you're actually installing a 205, but you could be doing it for some other reason.

Good luck.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not only how much off-roading but also what kind?

Sand dunes or mud don't need as low of a low range as rock crawling, and the extra strength of an NP205 could help with the higher speeds in sand or mud.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
It's fat and it's heavy but it fits. Bomb proof. Bolts right up to a 4R70W (grind a notch in the adapter). You can re-seal it for $20. You need to make a custom mount to support after the transmission because it is heavy.

I only drive on road and in snow and only use 4W high so I can't speed to how low gear is.

SavageBurro

Not directly responsive to your questions but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I don't have first hand experience with these reduction / adapter setups but I am pretty sure they are not much longer (if at all) than stock and provide solutions to mediocre np205 gearing. Result is a very strong tcase that should fit nicely length-wise and provide great gearing options. allows you to select 1:1 or 2.72 or 1.96 or 5.33 in a short 1 ton package.

There are quite a few write-ups on np205 installs in early broncos. I recommend using the search on this site or googling, "early bronco np205". I don't say that to be flippant - just to let you know you will get lots of great pics, write-ups etc.

One of these is on my list of upgrades next year. Each company (and others) also do a standard 'doubler' that is a bit cheaper but they end up a bit longer.

http://www.northwestfab.com/Titan-Series-NP205-BlackBox-i_p_2402.html

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Magnum Box.htm

http://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/np205-strong-box-shorty.html

OP
OP
B

bwjohn

I want to be capable off road, do i rock crawl? No.

Right know i have 33 tires.

Stock gears, haven’t researched gears yet to make up my mind.

I was telling this person my plan to rebuild orginial engine, attach 4r70w which i just bought and bolt it to the 205. He shot big holes in the whole thing.

So i am rethinking the whole thing. I was in the process of just collecting parts and getting ready to start at the turn of the year.

Thanks for all of the info
Brandon

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I've got 351W (E.DI.S. by EFI Guy), 4R70W and NP205. No holes in my powertrain... ;D
You will want to regear for sure. I'm running 35" tires and considering going from 4.56 to 5.14s over the winter...

Its past my bedtime so I will post more tomorrow. You will need a custom cross member but everything else pretty much bolts up...

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
I've got 351W (E.DI.S. by EFI Guy), 4R70W and NP205. No holes in my powertrain... ;D
You will want to regear for sure. I'm running 35" tires and considering going from 4.56 to 5.14s over the winter...

Its past my bedtime so I will post more tomorrow. You will need a custom cross member but everything else pretty much bolts up...

Hey sandman I’m getting ready to put the same setup in my truck. Do you have any pics of the cross member that you built? Also where shifter came up through. Thanks

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
1st post is mod required for the adapter housing (Explorer). Can see the cut away material at the bottom of the 1st pic. Its pretty straight forward.

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 133

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
2nd post is cross member fab...

Used a harbor freight pipe bender and 1 3/8 tube ( fit one of the dies real nice)
filled the tube with sand and it bent pretty nice...

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 128

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Last set is the 205 installed in the truck. In addition to the custom cross member, I made another support that ties into the inspection cover. Used a thicker piece of stock to replace the cover... I also used the factory mount for the 205 on the drivers side rear.

The 205 is about 30-40 pounds heavier than the Dana 20. In my opinion, you want more support for the 205 more due to the aluminum adapter housing and the tiny metric screws...

Probably leaving out details... any questions, fire away!

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 151

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
My exhaust is custom. the mufflers are outside the frame rails and it dumps in front of the rear tires. I've read on here that you can clock the 205 to make room for more conventional routing... no 1st hand experience though...

For the shifters, they are pretty much in the same location. My access hole has been opened up over the years... working on an aluminum cover plate... another partially done project. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4419[1].jpg
    IMG_4419[1].jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 104

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You can use the stock Ford unit just cut to length. I think I needed to make my hole longer but not wider.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Right know i have 33 tires.
Stock gears, haven’t researched gears yet to make up my mind.

Stock could be either 3.50-ish or 4.11-ish. The 4.11's would be just the minimum for 33's, much less an overdrive. But with the right engine that combo is actually pretty good for most of what we do with our rigs these days.

I was telling this person my plan to rebuild orginial engine, attach 4r70w which i just bought and bolt it to the 205. He shot big holes in the whole thing.

Like what size holes?;D
But really, what did he say that got you thinking you were heading in the wrong direction?

They might be right of course, but curious to see if we all agree.

Paul