• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking of a 351W swap, things to look out for??

Stefan

Loc.
Louisiana, Fort Polk
I was given a running 1997 F150 with a 351W. The E4OD is shot and long so I know I will have to use something else (I am seriously looking at a 700R4).

I also know the EFI will not work in my 74 Bronco so I will carb it.

Can I use the front dress (water pump, pulleys, power steering pump, alternator, etc) from the 97?

I think it would be prudent to go through the engine to have it checked out. I am also thinking about different heads.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to figure it out and make sure that I am moving in the right direction. It will be mostly used for road driving with occasional off roading say 70/30. I am still debating on a new rear-end 9" or Dana 60 and need a new power steering unit.

Background is I paid a guy a lot of money to restore my first vehicle (this Bronco). He had health issues and passed it off to another guy to work on while I was deployed. When I finally got it back I had a stripped Bronco, no money, he used my motor to build a hotrod that he sold and the other replacement 9" and gave me pieces of another 302 and left me my broken 9". It is a mess. So, now I have a little bit more time (I just retired from the Army) and would like to start working on her again since she was my first vehicle that I bought almost 30 years ago (I'm attached). Basically, I have a lot of work to do!

The search feature has been awesome but doesn't answer everything.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you dont have the eb 302 front dress sanndmann3 sells the explorer front dress kits in the classifieds. It gives you a serpentine belt and is a little thinner than the stock bronco set up. If you're going carb I run a q-jet. If you modify an offenhauser 360 manifold it will take the q-jet without an adapter. You just have to bore out the holes for the bigger butterflies on the carb.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
It's one of the few setups available that will get you a serpentine belt drive and still fit the fan and accessories between the engine and the radiator.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The one issue you will have to deal with the explorer front dress is hoses to the radiator. I think the tougher one is the lower. I think some guys have run a hose off a super duty. Bc sells a crossover tube kit for the lower. Might want to research that a little

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
But if you go ahead and get a radiator with reversed inlet and outlet then you can use your stock lower eb hose flipped over on the other side. I had to shorten it about an inch. Then up top you simply use a Fox Body upper hose. Also had to shorten this one about 2 inches.
Easy peasy.

I used a Champion rad that had reversed inlet/outlet for $160 bucks. But the vendors all have a reverse inlet version of their own.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You COULD use the EFI. Yes the upper intake is too tall but there are options. The 97 should be mass air. Might want to research it. I made 96 van EFI work with modifications.

I used the front dress off a 96 E350. Went with electric fan. Cools fine.....

1 inch BL is advised....

Tim

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
351W with Explorer accessories FTW!

I've got a custom PS pump where the A/C compressor sits, beyond that, totally stock, fan included.

jd4320

something else to look at is the valve covers. I tried the tall valve covers and they will not fit under the power booster for the brakes. I haven't tried the factory ones yet.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if you plan to run a manual transmission you may have to deal with a clutch mounting hole on the side of the engine block needs to be drilled and taped or an adapter bracket is available.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While you're waiting for all the ideas to gel, I'd have your old unit run a tank over the replacement guy's shop! You know, just for some closure...;)

Yes on the EFI, but if a carb is simpler for you you can go for that. I think you should not toss out the old stuff though, because it's OBD-II and Mass-Air which is more desirable for many. And being a 2-year only thing too, I bet there are some parts that are hard for someone to find when theirs goes missing for whatever reason.
Or they're trying to get their rig running from a box-o-parts and find stuff missing right off the bat.

Yes to the Explorer stuff, but it sounds like the existing stuff will work and that might be worth it just for the cost savings initially. But it won't be anywhere near as efficient or easy to service or as compact as the Explorer stuff is.
Either way you'll be using an electric fuel pump with your carb.

Good luck! Now that you're back and can keep an eye on things, it should go smoother.
Relatively speaking, of course...%)

Paul

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
something else to look at is the valve covers. I tried the tall valve covers and they will not fit under the power booster for the brakes. I haven't tried the factory ones yet.

Mustang covers clear my master and my roller rockers.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 97 F-150 serpentine will actually fit and is the same depth as the Bronco V-Belt system. A 17" Mechanical Fan with a 1/2" spacer and the Original fan shroud with minor trim will work. However, you can only use a stock size Radiator. If you want a thicker (4 Core for example) the Explorer Front Serpentine is shorter and will provide more room for the larger Radiator.

Correct, the EFI from the F-150 will not work. TOO TALL. Use a Performer Intake and the Holley Sniper EFI and you can't go wrong. A set of headers and 2-into-1 exhaust and it should run great.

The cylinder heads on the 351W are fine, but a 165-170cc (AFR, Edelbrock) aluminum head would be my choice if rebuilding, which I suggest anyway.

A 1" Body Lift will help with Air Cleaner Clearance and any transmission swap.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might think 1-2 inch body lift, jst saying, my 351 driver side stock 351 valve cover hit the firewall just a bit... P.O. massaged firewall back 1 inch...

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
My street truck will have a body lift to clear the Windsor and the ZF5.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
While the engine is out trim the three bolts that hold the gas pedal to the firewall 1/2 inch.
My driver side head got hung up on them, and it took a while to figure out what the problem was.

T-7ToNewOldB

Another vote for body lift. Makes a lot of stuff easier. I have 1”. For your set-up 2” could be a better way to go. I have a 347 in mine so more of a drop in than the 351 is.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It makes more sense to get Frenchy's body mount bushings. You get a 3/4" to 1" body lift plus the isolating and insulating properties of oversize rubber bushings. Just the same my 351 swap needed neither a body lift nor a butchered hood.