• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sniper took my heater inlet elbow. Now what?

mebco09

The setup in question is a new Blueprint 306, with a Holley Sniper.

Trying to button up my plumbing, and I have nowhere to run my heater hose. Looks to me like I could get a TEE fitting to hook both up, but will it effect the temperature sensor that goes to the FI if I am flowing water past it from the heater rather than the engine? (won't the water be colder? or do I have this backwards).

Is there another location that I can loop water that won't effect anything. Looks like I have a threaded plug on the other side of the distributor. Smaller diameter though.

Anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_100206513.jpg
    IMG_20220118_100206513.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20220118_101420891.jpg
    IMG_20220118_101420891.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 103

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you running a different temp gauge besides what is displayed on the Sniper? Move the Sniper to the plugged port behind the distributor, get your heater back.

How Ford did it when they added EFI and the temp sensor, a T-fitting on the heater nipple. There is plenty of water flow with eddys and stuff that will get temp up the T and to the sensor even with the heater off. People have been doing it that way without issue with EFI conversions for the past 20 years. Nothing new here. I usually just get my parts from the local Ace hardware or big box home improvement store. No special automotive stuff needed.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
You could also put the Sniper sensor in the stock guage spot on the drivers side, and then run the guage to the thermostat housing (take out that plug).

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
How Ford did it when they added EFI and the temp sensor, a T-fitting on the heater nipple.
Cue the McMaster-Carr link I posted. Wish that big box hardware stores in my part of the world carried (semi-exotic) stuff like run street tees, but they don't. Hence link. Solves problem, easy-peasy. Move on.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Thanks for the replies. It is pretty lame of Blueprint to just take that port on the intake and leave you guessing as to what to do from there. I guess not everyone wants a heater.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could also put the Sniper sensor in the stock guage spot on the drivers side, and then run the guage to the thermostat housing (take out that plug).

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Exactly what I did. Except I had to drill and tap the plug because it was solid. Will upload pix when I get home.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is pretty lame of Blueprint to just take that port on the intake and leave you guessing as to what to do from there. I guess not everyone wants a heater.
Nope. Other than the 95% of those that do!
They're probably "Chevy guys" and figured that's just what that port was for. ;)

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I'm using an Edelbrock intake so my heater return is in there too, but you get the idea. Sniper on left. Gauge on the thermostat housing. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe that isn't such a good idea. If the thermostat sticks, I won't get a good temp read. IMG_5198.jpg IMG_5197.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, that is the heater supply, not return.
Water is heated in the heads, goes to the intake and the thermostat throttles it to the radiator.
The water pump pulls water in through the nipples and pushes it into the block. Where it gathers heat as it works through the block and heads.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Ill post a photo later, but here goes:

Ran the Sniper temperature sender to the driver side port behind the distributor.
Put the heater elbow back where it belongs, passenger side behind the t-stat housing.
Put the factory temperature sender in the port in the t-stat housing, knowing that it won't be totally reliable there.

My question was originally whether the Sniper actually needed the temp to be accurate in order to work properly. Upon READING THE DIRECTIONS, it is indeed important for the FI to work properly, but they give you the option of putting it on either side of the motor, as long as it is in the water jacket before the t-stat housing. Blueprint just plumbs it the easiest way for them, and you get to modify it to suit you. I guess that is OK, because everyone is going to have a different application.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Ill post a photo later, but here goes:

Ran the Sniper temperature sender to the driver side port behind the distributor.
Put the heater elbow back where it belongs, passenger side behind the t-stat housing.
Put the factory temperature sender in the port in the t-stat housing, knowing that it won't be totally reliable there.

My question was originally whether the Sniper actually needed the temp to be accurate in order to work properly. Upon READING THE DIRECTIONS, it is indeed important for the FI to work properly, but they give you the option of putting it on either side of the motor, as long as it is in the water jacket before the t-stat housing. Blueprint just plumbs it the easiest way for them, and you get to modify it to suit you. I guess that is OK, because everyone is going to have a different application.

thank you. i appreciate any pics as I will be installing a new Blueprint 302 in amother 2 weeks

Mark1911

Sorry I’m late to the party. But why not run the Ford 5.0 Mustang heater tubes? It has a spot in the forward connection for a coolant temp sensor.
The tubes then can feed the heater core.
They are still available from Ford.
Mark.