• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel options for 17x10 with 35-12.50 tires?

agduckhunter

I bought a set of 35x12.50 tires and Fuel Beast wheels for my 68 Bronco, but there's not enough offset (they're 17x9, -12 offset). They rub the radius arms when I cut the wheel hard either way.

I really like the looks and feel of the 17's and want to stick with them, but I need another wheel option. Definitely want to stick with a black finish. Anyone have any great suggestions?

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Honestly, I'm not crazy about the wheels. Would prefer something else, but the spacers are a good idea if I decide to keep them. Truly, I'd prefer a deeper wheel.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
the 17" realm is a bit challenging for us. There are a few 17" wheels that have lower backspacing, but not many. off the top of my head i can only think of two and they're not black:

17x9 mag slots BS 3.5
Trail Ready faux beadlock BS 3-3.5

Most 17" options are BS 4.5 or higher.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I really like the Method wheels...Lots of black options but again I think they are all 4.5" BS

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

So frustrating. Has anyone actually used spacers? If so, any issues at all? And what thickness should I go with? Not sure what the stud length is on my hubs.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
So frustrating. Has anyone actually used spacers? If so, any issues at all? And what thickness should I go with? Not sure what the stud length is on my hubs.
search it up a little. plenty have used spacers with no issues. when i've seen issues it's due to poor quality, incorrect installation. if you go with BORA you won't have issues. make sure the spacers you buy have wheel centric lips.

have you adjusted your knuckle stops first?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I bought a set of 35x12.50 tires and Fuel Beast wheels for my 68 Bronco, but there's not enough offset (they're 17x9, -12 offset). They rub the radius arms when I cut the wheel hard either way.

I really like the looks and feel of the 17's and want to stick with them, but I need another wheel option. Definitely want to stick with a black finish. Anyone have any great suggestions?
I run the Hutchinson Rock Monster 17x9. The backspacing is 4.63 and they stick in where they are supposed to. Radius arm "rubbing" is corrected by the use of Jim Cole's Cage radius arms. (you call them Duff Arms)

A also have a set of Raceline Avengers in 17x9 with -19mm offset. But running 40x13.50x17 is still a problem. I have to run 2 inch thick wheel adapters (not spacers...) The Racelines and Hutchinsons are lug centric. The biggest problem with running 2 inch wheel adapters on the front is that you have to do something to the rear...or else it looks horrid.

Beware of the nomenclature. Wheel spacers are generally considered to be things that sandwich between the wheel and hub. Like a giant washer. Wheel adapters are generally considered to be things that bolt on to the hub, and another set of lugs are used to bolt the wheel to the adapter. Properly engineered wheel adapters are very robust and are OEM equipment on GM 1 ton DRW front hubs since 1988.

In your case, you are "adapting" from 5x5.5 to the same pattern 5x5.5. So not really adapting at all, but that's the lingo. This is because of all the bad experience with using the name "spacers" in the past. (as Shimmy above points out...)

JSBX

Contributor
Wheel adapters/spacers like wheels need to be checked and retorqued after about 100 miles. I check mine again after another 200 miles. Once seated I usually check mine during regular Maintenace intervals.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A lit of the low cost spacer/adaptors are just basic aluminum. Often just a T6061 alloy that machines nice, but structurally not a great choice for high loads. They make a lot of them because it is a super common alloy and it does machine nice. Doesn't mean it is good. A lot of good alloy wheels will have steel inserts at the lug holes to keep the lugnuts from sinking into the wheel.

Yes, factory 1-ton dually stuff has run bolt on spacers for decades. I think all the OEMs do it that way. But they are nice steel pieces. Not something that is built to a price point. Trouble is there are so many built to a price point, don't care about quality, just be competative to sell. Finding a good spacer is lost in the noise.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had some 4.5 back space wheels that fit nicely.

Attachments

• 20160515_164148.jpg
    20160515_164148.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 20

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Interested in what you do. I am running a 17x9 Fuel wheel with 35x12 tires and need an inch of neg offset to make it sit right. I dont have rub but need a better stance. Post up if you figure out to measure to input into the Bora calculator.

Last edited:

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Interested in what you do. I am running a 17x9 Fuel wheel with 35x12 tires and need an inch of neg offset to make it sit right. I dont have rub but need a better stance. Post up if you figure out to measure to input into the Bora calculator.

Whats your BS or offset? I can help calculate it from there. There's also a few online offset/BS calculators that can help you figure out how much more "poke" you'll have. I have 17x9 wheels with 4.53 BS. Currently not running any spacers, but i do have a set of BORA spacers that are 38mm thick. I went with this thickness since i didn't want to shave my wheel studs and based on my measurements 38mm cleared the spacers since anything over 25mm is typically an "adapter" style spacer. What this amounts to is my wheels sticking out 38mm more.

For what its worth. a 17x9 BS 4.5" wheel stick out about the same as a 15x8 BS 3.5" wheel

I use this offset calculator all the time.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

BORA also makes steel spacers if you feel they are necessary.