• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adjusting emergency brake cable on a 74

74bronk

Contributor
Recently added a 2.5” lift kit (Tom’s offroad) need info on how to set up and adjust E-brake cables to make them functional again.

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

Contributor
If they were working before, and you didn't change any e-brake parts, nothing needs adjusting. The cable simply follows the axle down.
They did work before. Fyi I replaced the cables from the rear drums to the bracket thing.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The "bracket thing" is at the opposite end of the brake drum. There are two ends of the cables. One end goes into the backing plate where the drum is and the other end goes to the "bracket thing". Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Recently added a 2.5” lift kit (Tom’s offroad) need info on how to set up and adjust E-brake cables to make them functional again.
You can buy extended e brake cables (like I did) and the install isn't too bad. The adjustment for the e-brake regardless is under the Bronco, drivers side, where the two cables connect to a T style set up. There should be a nut that you can back down a threaded rod towards the rear of the bronco. But that will adjust the actual tension on the pedal, not give you a longer line which I think is what you are looking for.

Are you saying the cables are not pulled tight, meaning not enough for the axle to flex? That is why I replaced mine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if that’s the case, maybe your springs lifted you more than the 2 1/2 inches.
Perhaps due to them being new, or perhaps, due to the bronco being lightweight, or not finished yet, or the suspension is still hanging maybe?

AngeloTOMSOFFROAD

Hi 74BronK, You should have received new e-brake cables with that lift kit, if it was ordered in kit form.
If you have time give us a call and we can walk you through the adjustment process on the E-brake cables?
541-779-1339
Thanks- Angelo TOMS OFFROAD

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Angelo, great to see you here! Welcome for sure.
Thanks for shouting out to 74Bronk. Let us know how it works out 74Bronk, especially if it's something unusual, or even different about your particular Bronco that will help others in the future.

Good luck. And again, welcome to classic Angelo.

Paul