• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield install

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
For those of you that have installed your windshield glass, did you buy a kit of just a length of rope?

If you went to the rope route, I am wondering diameter is best so I don't tear the seal.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ve always used a good quality 1/4” braided nylon. ( not that junk yellow rope. Good stuff similar to old style starter rope on a lawn mower). I soup up the gasket really well with dish soap. A second pair of hands is useful to keep pressure on the glass as you work the gasket over the frame.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I’ve always used a good quality 1/4” braided nylon. ( not that junk yellow rope. Good stuff similar to old style starter rope on a lawn mower). I soup up the gasket really well with dish soap. A second pair of hands is useful to keep pressure on the glass as you work the gasket over the frame.
Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for! Appreciate the help.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Broke the old one taking it out.....broke the new one putting it in.........been cracked for over 20 years.....I refuse to fix it or get it fixed.

I wish you luck bigmuddy

Tim

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really good cord as mentioned , Good times
look at the windshield at different angles and light. I put one in and the was a big flaw in the glass like a ripple, had to take it it out and the next one the same thing. Finally got a good one …

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
^ this! definitely inspect the glass closely before you install it. you'd be surprised the flaws that you may find.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My frame unbolts, and was unbolted for paint. Laid the glass down with the gasket installed on a table, threaded a 5/32" starter rope into the groove and then set the frame down over the gasket. My wife applied pressure to the frame as I pulled the cord and worked the gasket around.
I did both side slider windows in place, the rear window in both my Bronco and a Hilux. 2 person job but don't apply too much pressure, just enough to keep the gasket interested in climbing over the lip.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I was concerned about trying this myself earlier this year because there were a couple of comments about breaking the glass during install. After watching the Wild Horses video on YouTube and several others, I decided to give it a try. I don't know how people are breaking the glass during install. This was one of the easiest things I've ever done on my Bronco. One friend on the outside holding the glass and applying pressure where I asked him to and me inside pulling the rope. I was installing the back glass in a half cab, but I can't imagine the front windshield being any different.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
All great tips, I use 550 paracord, but I have miles of it sitting around everywhere lol. I’ve been known to pull the windshield on exceptionally hot trail rides, miraculously have never broken it. Could be because it’s an original OEM glass.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I did mine a few months ago, successfully, with an extra set of hands, using basically the same methods described in the previous posts.
That being said, the next time it comes around I am definitely paying to have somebody else do it!
It's a ton of work and you are constantly at risk of breaking a $150 piece of glass.
Now that it's on the road, it's covered by insurance and I'll never have to deal with that nightmare again!

-JB

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I did mine by myself and it took about 15 minutes. After reading all of these posts, I wonder if I knew what I was doing or just got lucky…..

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
look in craigslist services. I got two guys, one older who knew what he was doing, 15 minutes new window installed, at my house $100

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That being said, the next time it comes around I am definitely paying to have somebody else do it!
It's a ton of work and you are constantly at risk of breaking a $150 piece of glass.

Amazing the differences people have with this. Took me and a buddy less than 30 minutes.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'll say the gasket has a lot to do with it. I've done mine by myself very easily in the truck.

When I went to help my brother with his, I noticed the gasket was a bit on the long side like maybe a quarter inch. We could get it in but it was really tight and the gasket just didn't lay right. We pulled it out (cut it out) and got another gasket from WH. Second one fit great and installed really easily.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'll say the gasket has a lot to do with it. I've done mine by myself very easily in the truck.

When I went to help my brother with his, I noticed the gasket was a bit on the long side like maybe a quarter inch. We could get it in but it was really tight and the gasket just didn't lay right. We pulled it out (cut it out) and got another gasket from WH. Second one fit great and installed really easily.
That was exactly my situation, brand new windshield and brand new gasket which seemed to be slightly long in almost every dimension. Rather than stretching or placing the gasket onto the windshield, we had to hold it in place until we had gotten one Edge sort of seated where we could start pulling the string. Tremendous p i t a.

JB

661buster1963

Do you need to use any glue or adhesive between rubber and windshield frame?, or between rubber and glass? I have heard not, but when I replaced an windshield in early falcon it had some factory looking pliable black goo between rubber and steel frame

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Do you need to use any glue or adhesive between rubber and windshield frame?, or between rubber and glass? I have heard not, but when I replaced an windshield in early falcon it had some factory looking pliable black goo between rubber and steel frame
I did not. Not necessary.