• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield install

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Do you need to use any glue or adhesive between rubber and windshield frame?, or between rubber and glass? I have heard not, but when I replaced an windshield in early falcon it had some factory looking pliable black goo between rubber and steel frame
not required but sometimes they leak, the butyl does a good job of ensuring a seal, rarely in a bronco is it an issue with flat glass, curved glass is more of an issue. I usually forgo the butyl due to complicating future removal, in a bronco typically a minor leak is a non issue.

don k

I did mine by myself. I used some 1/8 cord. Plenty of liquid soap. And got a suction cup to help pull from the inside . The hardest ones for me were the side windows.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Do you need to use any glue or adhesive between rubber and windshield frame?, or between rubber and glass? I have heard not, but when I replaced an windshield in early falcon it had some factory looking pliable black goo between rubber and steel frame

I use a heavy clear silicone lube when I do the install. There is probably enough of it left on the inner outside edge to help seal.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Having never done it myself I invested in this tool. https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Glass-Seal-Rope-In-Tool/productinfo/19620/
with the help of a friend who also happens to have a Bronco that will need a windshield install in the near future we did it in about 15-20 minutes & I'll use this tool a few more times.
The rope slides thru the handle as you draw it around the gasket making it easy to get it ready to put it & the windshield in the frame.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Tried it once, I had to add it to my list of failures. It was going great but I think I started working the rope too fast. If I tried it again, I would work it very slow and let it rest a bit as I worked it

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I've done a few, white nylon rope from Home Depot and a boat load of silicone spray in the channel and all over the gasket on the side youre pulling. I also like to tie a small piece of PVC pipe at the end of the rope to pull on the string. Also helpful, is to have a few friends push on the outside of the glass near where the string is pulling the gasket in.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to document in words, but I use a circling motion. Picture the spiral winding of a notebook as a reference to the motion. The cord pulls the the gasket towards the middle of the glass stretching it open, then back towards the frame to let the gasket work over the lip and repeat, don't expect large gain on every revolution, but movement is movement and lube is cheap. This will help keep from tearing the gasket and gets it up on the lip pretty painlessly. Don't expect to get the gasket to "seat" until the gasket is over the lip all the way around. I think this is where glass gets broken as it is expected to bend into a "home" position at one end of the glass before the other end is fully started over the lip of the frame.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I just used windex, or soap and water in a spray bottle. 1/4" rope is way too big. 1/8" would be way better. About the size construction uses for chalk lines. Soak it down real good with the soapy water. 2 people makes it way better.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk