• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 u13 roadster help

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I emailed my guy at Ford research team with the vin plate numbers he will update my letter with new information and I will post it this week. Thanks and toddz69 when your in Phoenix hit me up I would love for you to look at it. I will have it a few more weeks before it goes to frame up restoration.

I live about 20 min. away. I'll try to swing by soon!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

toddz69 let me know. I would love to have a Bronco expert see it. I just love cool cars and trucks. I will buy you lunch or a nice dinner for your insight. Hope to see you soon!

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

The blue engine color and overspray on my gas tank is not body color. I am excited to get original color from ford hopefully!

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I will say this 170 cid engine is amazing. It fired up after 16 years of not being driven with a shot of gas in the carb....amazing!

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Tomorrow I will post some photos of the Phillips head screws placed in the door wells that held the rubber moldings for the doors. I’m trying to understand if it was done at the factory or the dealer.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I love your intellectual approach to a simplistic conversation. I humble ask keep your eye on my thread as I post photos to help me understand my place in what seems to be a learning journey for all involved.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Question to the thread...Why do they not have an original Bronco in the Henry Ford Museum one of the coolest Fords ever. Just curious?

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question to the thread...Why do they not have an original Bronco in the Henry Ford Museum one of the coolest Fords ever. Just curious?

Because Ford did not give a rip about the bronco back then! It always took a backseat to the mustang and was not respected like it is today. If you think about it - did not sell nearly as well as the mustang or the f-series trucks! And did not have the nostalgia like the t-bird. The bronco when I first got into them back in the early '80s was cheap and utilitarian. Was truly a poor man's hobby!

hucklburry rev2

Huckleberry DSO I assume you mean Phoenix District sales office?

Sure? Some will argue exactly what it means, I don't know, this works for me.

It doesn't matter a lot. But sometimes its nice to know. Like yours is in Phoenix and was sold around there, so it probably has very little rust and spent its life in the area. That is nice to know. As opposed to one sold in the rust belt. Sometimes, for special models or ones shipped to the Military or overseas, it helps establish a history.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
my top it has what appears to be white paint under the current black im assuming it was white originally. Thoughts?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It's not a 66 top, the bows are welded in, whereas the 66 bows were bolted on.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
It is an earlier top, just not a '66. The oval openings in the interior of the rear post went away in early '69 models ('68). This one has the openings. Seems like the dealer or someone added a top after '66. The local dealership here had a white U13 that sat unsold until '68 and an employee bought it at a much reduced price. They had to keep it inside to stay dry and I heard they couldn't keep the battery charged because it had to be moved around the dealership so often......started and moved so often....

77Bronco636

Because Ford did not give a rip about the bronco back then! It always took a backseat to the mustang and was not respected like it is today. If you think about it - did not sell nearly as well as the mustang or the f-series trucks! And did not have the nostalgia like the t-bird. The bronco when I first got into them back in the early '80s was cheap and utilitarian. Was truly a poor man's hobby!

I knew a guy that use to work at the museum as a maintenance guy and I asked him about putting my 77 Bronco in there (19,000 original mile truck that was in fantastic shape and 100% stock)....he got me in contact with the right people and I jumped through the hoops for the information they requested (model, condition, pics, etc...) the deal was I had to make a 10 year commitment to leave the Bronco there with them with myself being responsible for the insurance on it. I was not to excited about that and the guy basically told me in a nut shell that they had no interest in having a Bronco in there anyways.....
As Eaglenest66 has stated....the Bronco is pretty much the redheaded step child for Ford.....I guess Ive always like redheads......LOL ;D

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

It appears Phoenix DSO 75 was 1964 to 1973. Does anyone know or has anyone seen what Ford dealers it was comprised of? I am attempted to track original dealer.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It appears Phoenix DSO 75 was 1964 to 1973. Does anyone know or has anyone seen what Ford dealers it was comprised of? I am attempted to track original dealer.

I don't have a comprehensive list but there were only a few dealers in the Phoenix area at that time. Don Sanderson Ford, Canyon Ford (which was at Thomas and I-17), Reid Mullen Ford (now Camelback Ford) and Earnhardt were the ones that I know of. I think there was a dealer in Scottsdale whose name is escaping me at the moment. But it could've also been sold at a dealership in nearly any of the towns in AZ at that time too: Babbitt Ford in Flagstaff, it was probably Webb Motors in Prescott at the time, Parker Motors in Parker, Holmes Tuttle in Tucson, etc.

In my thoroughly unscientific research on the topic, most of the Broncos I've seen that were sold in the Phoenix area came out of Canyon Ford or Sanderson.

Todd Z.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Paradise Ford was the Scottsdale Ford Dealership in the 60's, Corner of Scottsdale Rd and Camelback Rd. They were a Shelby Dealer also.