• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 Roadster mirror

Broncoblood

Contributor
Do you know if FORD made a different Roadster mirror for the 1968 Roadster Bronco?

I hear that the 66 and 67 mirrors were round and the 68 roadster mirrors were square?

anybody's knowledge would be appreciated?
pics would be cool too if anybody has a 68 roadster out there?
bobbyfranks@aol.com

Thank you

Bobby in California with a 68 Roadster

Broncitis

MEB Founder
To the best of my knowledge Ford only made the round style. I collect all sorts of old dealer and promo literature and don't recall having ever seen any square ones.

66Bronco

Bobby,

I've found specific Ford part numbers for the '68 Roadster mirror and have the following pictures.

66_1-vi.jpg

scan-vi.jpg

-Terry

Broncoblood said:
Do you know if FORD made a different Roadster mirror for the 1968 Roadster Bronco?

I hear that the 66 and 67 mirrors were round and the 68 roadster mirrors were square?

anybody's knowledge would be appreciated?
pics would be cool too if anybody has a 68 roadster out there?
bobbyfranks@aol.com

Thank you

Bobby in California with a 68 Roadster

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Intersting for sure. I've never seen that one before. Is that the Roadster specific mirror or an optional towing mirror? I have seen towing mirros in the Ford Accesory catalog, but I can't recall if they were just like that or not without looking.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Broncitis said:
Intersting for sure. I've never seen that one before. Is that the Roadster specific mirror or an optional towing mirror? I have seen towing mirros in the Ford Accesory catalog, but I can't recall if they were just like that or not without looking.

The picture has no door, FWIW....personally, I like the round mirror MUCH better.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Baja71 said:
The picture has no door, FWIW....personally, I like the round mirror MUCH better.

It also has no door insert, steering wheel, or seat ;D

Many of these assembly drawings only show the affected parts, added detail only makes the drawings too busy and confusing, so I would not make that assumption based on the drawing alone.

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Alot of the early ford books and service documents show a square mirror. 65 prints on up to 68. 77bronco636 showed me them over the weekend. Terry I am sure you seen them too;D The ones I seen had the roadster bracket with the square head mirror. Im sure some one can post up some pics from them. Not me, no scanner here%)

Tom

77Bronco636

Good memorie Tom, I forgot I showed you that stuff. I will scan the stuff if someone can post it for me. It might help out Bobby.
Paul;D

77Bronco636

Hey Bobby
I found some paper work showing the bronco features for the 68 model year that was printed 8/67. It shows the square mirror mounted to the fender on the roadsters. I hope this helps.;D Mike.l is going to post a picture of it for you. Thanks again Mike!!
Paul;D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
So did all 68 roadsters have the square mirrors? Seems they should be more plentiful then?

I always find it odd how there are so many small differences between years that seem to go largely unoticed. You would think Ford would know they were going to be ending the U13, so why make a production change for something so small?

Or how about the 77 gas doors, or the different body lines stamped in the early grilles and tailgates.

Although the EB's appear to be the same from 66-77, there seems to be more and more minor differences noticed all the time.

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
The TV series, "Green Acres", shows State University Department of Agriculture Agent Hank Kimball, played by actor Alvy Moore, driving a 1966 Early Bronco roadster during the second season. (First season vehicle was an Army-drab, painted Heep.) Several shots of the Bronco show the round mirrors, mounted to the fenders out in front of where the door opening would be. They were on long, white, round rods secured to the fenders with overly-large brackets. Doc

mike.l

Loc.
Milwaukee,WI
DocLewis said:
The TV series, "Green Acres", shows State University Department of Agriculture Agent Hank Kimball, played by actor Alvy Moore, driving a 1966 Early Bronco roadster during the second season. (First season vehicle was an Army-drab, painted Heep.) Several shots of the Bronco show the round mirrors, mounted to the fenders out in front of where the door opening would be. They were on long, white, round rods secured to the fenders with overly-large brackets. Doc

You mean like this...Or the other bracket with a round mirror.

Attachments

• ebay 009.jpg
    ebay 009.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 85

77Bronco636

Broncitis said:
So did all 68 roadsters have the square mirrors? Seems they should be more plentiful then?

I always find it odd how there are so many small differences between years that seem to go largely unoticed. You would think Ford would know they were going to be ending the U13, so why make a production change for something so small?

Or how about the 77 gas doors, or the different body lines stamped in the early grilles and tailgates.

Although the EB's appear to be the same from 66-77, there seems to be more and more minor differences noticed all the time.

In 1968 there were only 212 roadsters made, so if they all came with the square mirror, that would still make it a very low number. I find it strange also that Ford made so many small changes on these trucks in such a small amount of time. It must have cost a fortune for some of the changes that they made in the early years such as the drip rail on the upper floor pan after the 1st month production on the roadster. Small chages can cost big money in production!!;D

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
You roadster guys are nuts! ;D Terry with his original Ford scans and Mike all over it with the quick run to the garage and shot of his mirror. Love it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...tegoryZ33744QQihZ017QQitemZ270057801788QQrdZ1

I was thinking of you guys when I saw this auction the other day and was seeing Mike all running numbers through his head seeing if he could pick up a spare set of caps and still get the little lady something nice for Christmas. ;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
77Bronco636 said:
In 1968 there were only 212 roadsters made, so if they all came with the square mirror, that would still make it a very low number. I find it strange also that Ford made so many small changes on these trucks in such a small amount of time. It must have cost a fortune for some of the changes that they made in the early years such as the drip rail on the upper floor pan after the 1st month production on the roadster. Small chages can cost big money in production!!;D
You have to remember that yearly design changes were the norm back then. Just look at the 61 to 69 full size Fords or Chevys (Impala). There were significant sheet metal changes every year. It was expected. I remember all the new car models were introduced during the World Series every year. This didn't slow down until the mid 70's when imports began selling well with little or no year to year change. But yes it does seem odd to make any production change impacting only 212 vehicles!