• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ID 1971 BAJA Ford Bronco Stroppe addition - $60000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Just curious, with all else being equal, what do you guys think all the original paperwork such as this rig has truly adds to the final value versus a comparable rig (verified original Stroppe or Ranger vs Ranger, etc.) without the paperwork.

I know we all like to see it, and like to think it adds value, but if YOU were cutting the check, how much more would you be willing to add for original paperwork?

FWIW:

I think the $120K number on this particular Baja (according to the info in the other thread about this rig) is not even a realistic starting point at this stage in the growing collectible Bronco market, even for serious collectors. Maybe for someone who has more money than time to do some basic research on sales of comparables.

My dad owns the Stroppe Balloon Chaser Ambulance Bronco which is 1 of 1. Although not a true production "Baja", it is a 1977 Stroppe built Bronco with many of the Baja features and IMO, a more interesting and valuable history than the production Baja's.

It was personally built by and later owned by Bill Stroppe after the Limited Edition Sail FoMoCo promotion that it was created as a support/rescue vehicle for. It also has a huge folder of original paperwork including financing and registration papers signed by Bill Stroppe in addition to the well documented stories and photos of the Balloon Chase that it was used on (all of Chapter 8 is devoted to this adventure that Bill Stroppe was the Project Manager of in his biography "The Boss, the Bill Stroppe Story"). It even had a few second cameo in the Hunter S. Thomson / Johnny Depp film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (and to my question about the value of paperwork above, although this tid-bit of history about this particular Bronco is cool, what real value does it actually add, if anything?).

I think that even this Stroppe might only hit or exceed the $120K mark in the right setting on the right day at this point in the evolving Bronco market, and it is cleaner than the one in this thread, only has 35K miles, and had never been titled when we got it from Duff's in 2010, so technically, my dad is the first registered owner and it is likely the last Stroppe ever sold/titled.

And no, it is NOT for sale! ;)

With all that said, certainly a nice Baja, but I think even the other mentioned $60K would be highly optimistic at this point and I'd only be a potential buyer at a fraction of that, and only if it were one of the batch that have a production date of 4-12-1971 (my birthday) like the one I found when we stopped at Driven Auto a few years ago that had just been sold the week prior to one of Andrew's clients. :(

Also, AC was never factory installed to my knowledge. Possibly a dealer add or aftermarket (Stroppe or?), but never on the assembly line.

Last edited:

77Bronco636

Hey Drew, paper work is nice, but you can't drive it!!! I think having paper work is only another $1000 added to a price of a bronco. I would rather see original paint/metal and interior. Or old pictures of the truck with the original owner (something a bit different then just an owners manual or owners card) Just my 2 cents;)

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I'm with 77 on this. Paperwork is cool, but paperwork ends up on a shelf or in a display case. Great provenance, but over all not wait makes the Bronco appealing. Just nice gravy.

And if I had the means and was a hardcore collector, I wouldn't think twice dropping 50k on the balloon chaser if it were ever offered up for sale. Now all I have to do is win the lottery and wait for Drew and his dad to let it go to market. The chances of those two events in my lifetime, highly unlikely.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Hey Drew, paper work is nice, but you can't drive it!!! I think having paper work is only another $1000 added to a price of a bronco. I would rather see original paint/metal and interior . Or old pictures of the truck with the original owner (something a bit different then just an owners manual or owners card) Just my 2 cents;)

I know what you're saying, but it was not a mutually exclusive question. It was what is it worth above and beyond not having the other things you like to see (i.e. original paint/metal and interior).

I guess in addition to general original paperwork, I also look at the entire provenance that a vehicle has. This is often supported and documented by the paperwork I refer to. However, just because a vehicle has paperwork, does not necessarily mean it has a provenance that adds any real value either.

I guess what I am saying, is that IMO, it really needs looked at as the entire package of the history and stories behind a vehicle, and having the paperwork and photos or other documents that support an interesting history is where any real value could possibly lie. Having both it worth more than sum of each on its own.

At this point in the evolution of the collectibility of Broncos, all of this is not focused on all that much but for a relatively small number of Broncos and potential buyers out there. As the values continue to rise, I think we will see some of these gain attention since this is one of the things that will separate more collectible Broncos from less collectible/valuable Broncos, just as is the case with many other collectible vehicle.

I think the collectivility of Broncos is still relatively new since they were never thought of one that would ever be collectible back when they were new. Unlike many luxury or sports cars. Even muscle cars went through some of this as I recall from 25 years or so ago. When "collectors" could not see the value of many muscle cars that were just old beat up race cars or some high school kids primered cruiser.

Nowadays, some of those same cars that were worth very little then are worth a mint. And when you find ones with paperwork and documentation of being former race cars, originally installed factory or certain aftermarket options (i.e. Shelby, Yenko, Baldwin Motion, etc.), that certainly adds to their value as well.

Not to say that Broncos will reach the level of collectibility or value of some of the aforementioned, but 25 years ago, if someone told us what many Broncos have sold for in the last couple years, many of us would never have believed it.

The next time I go to a major show where there are appraisers on hand, I will have to pose this question to them to see how they figure all of this into their valuations.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I think the paper work is nice and its a good thing to have that separates it from others, in some small way. But I'm not paying big money for that in a Baja bronco. Which i will never be able to afford anyways.

Now get into former race driven EB's or the balloon chaser and its another story. Here I think the paper work is needed in order to prove what it truly is and therefor carry's more value.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Now get into former race driven EB's or the balloon chaser and its another story. Here I think the paper work is needed in order to prove what it truly is and therefor carry's more value.

I can tell you from experience that documentation on former racing EBs, by and large, is virtually nil. The best you can hope for is a lot of old photos and some folks with not-too-faded memories that can help you out.

For an amateur historian like myself, the search for details is great fun though!

Todd Z.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I can tell you from experience that documentation on former racing EBs, by and large, is virtually nil. The best you can hope for is a lot of old photos and some folks with not-too-faded memories that can help you out.

For an amateur historian like myself, the search for details is great fun though!

Todd Z.

And you are excellent at it! Technically you might be an amateur, but you and Andrew are the best I know at it!

Gathering stories and old photos like you have makes is undeniable that you and Andrew have a real treasure there and not just one that is thought to be or was recreated to look like or be presented as one.

Dale Sorensen

$120, 000 is not the price. I am willing to let it go for a lot less than that.
Lets just say that the person I told that to was being kind of arrogant.
As for the AC, it was factory installed. I Believe it is the same that they used to put in the mustangs at that time.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If you are talking about me, you are completely wrong (plus you already told others about this price before me including at least one TRUE Stroppe expert). I am a serious buyer and you were lofty & dramatically overplaying this vehicle's importance. I was/am seriously interested but your price at 120 or 60K is crazy. There have been at least 4 Stroppes sold last year for under 20k and some full restorations not reaching beyond the 30's. For a reasonable price, I would love to own yours.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As for the AC, it was factory installed. I Believe it is the same that they used to put in the mustangs at that time.

No EB ever had factory installed AC. If your's was it would be listed on the window sticker.

Dale Sorensen

The AC has the Ford emblem right on it. The window sticker just shows Stroppe goodies, not Ford goodies. I'm not letting this thing go for under 30 hylndr. I've already had local cash offers for that much.

N747JB

Dale, a little advice, put a realistic price on it, whatever you think that is. If you want $30K, fine price it at $30K, but throwing out crazy numbers to this group is going to get you nowhere. I wish I had found this bunch before I bought my Bronco and I am a Ford dealer. ;)
Second, when people on here say no early Broncos had factory air, it's because Ford never installed air conditioning in Broncos before 1978 with the body change to the large Bronco. ;)
By the way, you've got a great looking Bronco, I'm not really into the Stroppe models, but it looks like nice one! ;D

The AC has the Ford emblem right on it. The window sticker just shows Stroppe goodies, not Ford goodies. I'm not letting this thing go for under 30 hylndr. I've already had local cash offers for that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.