• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 HP heads

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
I'm in the process of restoring a 72 bronco and it had on it a pair of 289 HP heads. I did a bit of research and it looks like they were originally off of a 68-69 mustang? Not 100% sure on that. The original engine was heavily modified.

Does anyone know if these heads are worth anything? I have a few parts I plan on listing in the for sale section. Thought I might ask here first if these would or should be included as bronco parts for sale since technically they are from a mustang.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 73 had 289 heads. I just assume it was a 289...?? It got replaced with an Explorer 5.0.

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
The engine was a 302 but it had these 289 High Performance Heads on it.

Well I was trying to attach an image but I can't seem to get it to work.
wTfWxHYBeBD6g8Cc9

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, HiPo 289 heads have casting # C5OZ-6049-B. They were cast with slotted pushrod guide holes, and a spring seat boss, which can't be duplicated. Also screw in rocker studs. Good luck

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
Hello, thanks for the reply. These have a HP marking but the stamp code is different than what you listed. These have C8ZE-B and a HP 3M2O markings. There is also the numbers 61375 in a circle. I'm not a gear head so all this is kinda new to me. Thanks again for any info.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My block is from the 60's, and I've read that they used those blocks into the 70's. So without measuring stroke, how would we know that it is/isn't a 289?

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
This truck was bought by my grandfather new in 72. I have the original 302 heads, intake and all that he took off. I'm not sure why he put 289 heads on a 302 block and unfortunately he's not around to ask. I know it also has a 4 speed mustang trans. I think he originally had it set up for hill racing. I remember as a kid the thing screamed.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Urban legend has always given the Hi-Po head larger ports and valves than other small-block Fords, which has never been true. Valvespring pockets for stability and screw-in rocker-arm studs for dependability make the Hi-Po head unique, because the more common press-in studs tend to pull out with aggressive camshafts and high revs. Outside of these factory modifications, the Hi-Po heads are virtually the same as the 2V/4V heads. Spotting a 19, 20, or 21 cavity number in the corners of the castings outside of the valve-cover areas on the exhaust side quickly identifies Hi-Po heads.

Casting numbers C3OE, C4OE-B, C5OE-A, C5AE-E, C7ZE (service head), and C8ZE-B (also a service head). The C8ZE-B service head does not have the two-digit cavity.

Tim

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
seems like the 289 heads, in general, had a smaller combustion chamber too, didn't they? that raises compression and as Digdug says, makes them scream...

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
I'd probably have better luck selling these on a mustang forum or something like that if they are truly HP heads. Would anyone recommend I get them redone first or just cleaned or simply sell as is? Thanks again for all the info. Any idea on value?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would let the buy have them built to his own specs. BUT..Price high so you can come down and not give them away. Old iron is hard to find...

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
Thanks for all the info. I'll do some research and figure out what would be a decent starting price.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Their worth some money. I would clean them but that's it on your part. If you were down the street from me I would give you a couple of hundred dollars for them just because of what they are. The cost of shipping is a problem with heavy parts. You can plop them on E-Bay and see where it goes. They are not a wise use of money since the aluminium Edelbroc heads are so much better flowing right out of the box.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's too bad they cost so much. Someone trying to run a Ford on a dirt track stock car might want them... BUT, alas, they say it costs too much to race a Ford... (I see people around here paying $400 for a pair of unworked GM heads and then spend $400 more having them built. because they have to run STOCK heads. Silly shevy's.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The audience for the HiPo heads (if they truly are) will be the period correct Mustang guys. The guy who has a HiPo stang and the heads are long gone and he needs them for his restoration.

To the RIGHT guy they're gold........Finding that right guy might be the issue....

Tim

OP
OP
D

Digdug

Loc.
Dexter
That's the casting number C8ZE-B and the 289 has two dots above it. I'm not sure how else to confirm they are. I'll look around some of the classic mustang sites/forums and see if I can find someone who is interested. Thanks again for all the info. I tried posting pics of the heads but it didn't seem to work.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
They're good heads like has been said. I'm running them on phred. Reason being I had them and at the time when i built the engine a pair of aluminum heads was still ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Heads

The audience for the HiPo heads (if they truly are) will be the period correct Mustang guys. The guy who has a HiPo stang and the heads are long gone and he needs them for his restoration.

To the RIGHT guy they're gold........Finding that right guy might be the issue....

Tim

Those are real Hi-Po's, I can see the raised ridge for the valve spring. Looks like a 3H20 date code which combined with the C8ZE-B casting number probably means these heads were cast in 1973. Restorers want date codes and casting numbers that match their cars so these won't have the value of earlier heads, still worth a bit of money though.