• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 engine swap in 1966 6 cylinder

Tonyduc

Someone has offered me a 302 v8 for my 1966 which currently has a 6 cylinder. Since the late 66’s also came with 289 would this be an easy swap ? I believe the 289 and 302 shared the same block so if I got mounts for a v8 it should fit.

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

Thanks, looks like a lot less work and expense to find an old Bronco with a V8, even if the engine needs a rebuild at least everything is there including the correct transmission.
Thanks
Tony

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

Going back to this potential swap. The major structural change I see is with the motor mount towers, shown here on Tom's https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/motor-towers-v8-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new-per-pair.

They (Tom's) sent me the schematic for locating these towers which need to be welded. I have MIG welded plenty sheet metal on this Bronco, so I know the basics. Would MIG welding - assuming done properly - be sufficient for this job ? My Hobart 140 is supposed handle steel up to 1/4" thick.

bmbm

v8 swap

Putting a v8 in won't really give you the exact same driving experience as a typical v8 Bronco. The v8 usually had 3:50 gears I am pretty sure and your six cylinder Bronco probably has 4:11 gears so you will still be revving high on the freeway. So you may want to consider an od trans along with your v8 swap or change your front and back gears.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I6 to V8 requires the frame towers to be welded on, swapping out the I6 transmission and radiator for V8 versions. Clutch linkage has some differences, throttle linkage is completely different. Core support was different but the needed change here is the different mounts for the larger V8 radiator. It's quite a bit of work to do the swap, but plenty of people have done it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are going to keep it long term and need the power, do it, otherwise, I'd say the value is keeping it as a 6.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Putting a v8 in won't really give you the exact same driving experience as a typical v8 Bronco. The v8 usually had 3:50 gears I am pretty sure and your six cylinder Bronco probably has 4:11 gears so you will still be revving high on the freeway. So you may want to consider an od trans along with your v8 swap or change your front and back gears.

True.... BUT..... Those 4.11 gears and 33" tires makes a great combo!

RonJones

My Hobart 140 is supposed handle steel up to 1/4" thick.

My 110 VAC Hobart struggles with 1/8” penetration but is fine with sheet metal whereas my 220 VAC Hobart can do 1/4” pretty easily. Supposedly flux core does better than Argon gas, but is messy.