• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393/GT40 heads/GT Cam Performance Questions

OP
OP
G

gclauson

Contributor
Since 4x4man514 resurrected this old thread, I might as well update the story.

I sold the GT40 heads at a nice profit and threw the budget out the window and bought Trick Flow 11R190 heads with their roller rockers.
Also ditched the 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 cam and picked up a used roller Comp cams 35-312-8 (220/224 duration @ .050 lift, .544/.560 lift, 114 deg lobe separation).
Dropped the Tweecer idea and had the pro, Garry, do the tuning.

To make a long story short, he had trouble getting a tune that ran well while cold and also while hot. After a lot of trouble-shooting, turns out the PMAS MAF was defective. Swapped that out for a stock Ford slot MAF (incidentally suggested by Garry in post #7) and it runs great. Big shout-out to Garry!!!!

The cam is great. It pulls to 6500 rpm, yet will crawl/idle along at 850-1000 rpm!
The other change was that I went with Siemens Deka 60s (genuine, not knock-offs) and they work fine, no issues at low engine speeds.

Regarding the D20 strength, I rebuilt a spare that has the Wild Horses HD output shaft, so we will see how that lasts. I hope that with the 35" tires, I'll be traction-limited before the transfer case blows up.

Hope this helps!