• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

393W Transformation Thread

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
back to the early posts, why wouldn't you be able to use the explorer serpentine set up on a 28 oz damper for the 351 as was eluded to in post 9 & 12?

I am using the explorer balancer (50oz) for the 351w. The rotating assembly actually balanced kinda funny and I think the (scat) crank is to blame - they used the 50oz balancer on the front, but needed a 28oz flexplate on the back. They had to weld (add) a little material to the flexplate, but not very much. There was very little material removed from the crank this way. If not for using the 50oz in the front, I think they would have had to add mallory metal to the crank, which gets expensive really quick.

Eric

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Lars - good to hear from you again.

Yeah, I am going EFI, but I hadn't put much thought into a distributorless setup (already bought the distributor). But hey, thanks for putting that into my head [...goes off to go do research...] %)

I have, however, been looking very seriously into the Moates QH tuner. I know you are a tinkerer at heart, so I think this is a valid question - what tuner are you using?

Eric

I have a Tweecer R/T. The Moates Quarterhorse wasn't available when I bought it. If I was in the market now, I'd buy the Moates product. I'm not even sure the Tweecer is still available. Product support was terrible, though the aftermarket stepped into the void with some good software, notably Clint Garrity's EEC Analyzer and Binary Editor. The learning curve is steep, though Garrity's on-line help eases the pain somewhat. If your engine is mild, tuning isn't too complicated. Mostly getting the mass air meter transfer function correct, and adjusting the injector parameters.

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
(Ignore the messy garage)

Out with the old...!
Lift.jpg

It will be a few days before I put in the new one - I want to clean up the engine bay a bit. Note the original burnt orange color. :)

I have been fighting the aftermarket gremlins lately; for whatever reason, my pushrods were hitting the holes in the heads. Of course, I noticed this after I torqued the heads down, so I had to pull them back off and take them to the machine shop to be reworked.

Eric

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
A lot more cleaning and painting later, and we finally have a core support to be proud of. I have a new found respect for anyone that has fully restored their rig - it takes forever just to get the grease off!

(click to enlarge)
photo (2).jpg

Eric

68mutgt

Actually the 393w is a great motor. Of course you can get more power from a 408w. But if you are concerned about side load and rod/stroke ratio then go with the 393 (3.850 stroke vs the 4in stroke of the 408w. A 393w with a custom cam, a set of AFR heads and the right intake will get you all the power you're going to need without going the big block route.

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Figured it out - brand new MSD distributor had a bad TFI module. This would have never happened if I had taken Lars' advice in April and just went distributorless. ;)

Props to all that replied. Thanks again!

Now onto more important stuff - gotta get some exhaust on this thing, I think I am pissing off the neighbors running without mufflers - sounds like I am having Friday night races in my garage.

I think the tune is good enough to get me to the shop. Now I gotta figure out the hydroboost - the junk one is not letting fluid through it and I can hear a high pitched whine coming from either it, or the PS pump (hard to zero in on it, but it wont do it with the accessory belt removed). It seriously sounds like a bomb is getting ready to blow as it keeps getting higher and higher as I run the engine, but I had been too busy with the above issue that I couldn't care less. The high pressure hose started to leak a little on the pump end, so I may have to redo that connection.

Eric

mattt

Bronco Guru
Congratulations....Great news!...and Thanks for confirming my decision to not use the MSD distributor. I picked one up and then decided against using it after reading/hearing about too many failures.
I went junkyarding, grabbed a TFI mounted distributor from a 91 van, and had it gone thru/rebuilt/upgraded by Ignitioneering in Fullerton, CA. He added an additional bushing/bearing at the bottom of the dist. housing, & replaced the stator.
If/when you go distributorless, I hope you post up a thread so I can follow suit on mine....I've been thinking about it as well.

Keep us posted how the new beast runs.

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Congratulations....Great news!...and Thanks for confirming my decision to not use the MSD distributor. I picked one up and then decided against using it after reading/hearing about too many failures.
I went junkyarding, grabbed a TFI mounted distributor from a 91 van, and had it gone thru/rebuilt/upgraded by Ignitioneering in Fullerton, CA. He added an additional bushing/bearing at the bottom of the dist. housing, & replaced the stator.
If/when you go distributorless, I hope you post up a thread so I can follow suit on mine....I've been thinking about it as well.

Keep us posted how the new beast runs.

Interesting - so, is the TFI remote, or on the distributor? I am only asking since I am planning on getting summit to credit the MSD and may need something between now and when I go DIS.

Eric

mattt

Bronco Guru
TFI is distributor mounted. I think '91 is the last year of TFI mounted on distributor.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, definitely had to swap the gear for a steel one. Done at the same time as rebuild. I don't think a dist. mounted TFI & steel gear was ever factory in a 351. By the time 351 went roller, the TFI was remote.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Oh yeah, definitely had to swap the gear for a steel one. Done at the same time as rebuild. I don't think a dist. mounted TFI & steel gear was ever factory in a 351. By the time 351 went roller, the TFI was remote.

That's what all my research had found. I looked high and low for a distributer mounted TFI, 351W, roller cam application with no luck. I ended up going with the same distributer as Eric. I also have a brand new standard distributer with the gear replaced in the garage just in case.

Glad to hear you found the problem Eric. I neew to stop by again when you get that thing running and see how it has progressed.

Dan

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Yeah, you are welcome to stop by again. I should have some more things wrapped up by the weekend.

Eric

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Won't be this week. I'm heading out to LasVegas to visit a friend for the holiday. I'll stop by sometime next week on the way home from work. I hop all goies well and you are up and frying tires by then.

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just wanted to update this thread. After playing with the tune for the past year, the motor is running very well now. No overheating issues whatsoever, but I have not really tested its limits besides city driving in So Cal heat.

I ended up installing a lightning mass air flow sensor since they are supposed to be very good at low RPMs, but are also 90mm; and you can get them cheap. ;D Here is a link: LMAF Sensor. I bought mine on ebay and it included the filter and adapter. I also bought some 4" aluminum tubing and made up a custom intake tube to accomodate the LMAF sensor.

Not totally happy with the explorer PS pump. The fill cap sits too high and rubs the hood, even with my body lift, so I had to be creative with my cap. It also seems to groan and whine unnecessarily, but it is probably due to being a junkyard take-off. I am pretty set on finding a way to mount a late model saginaw pump in due time. I really do like the explorer serpentine much better than the old mustang version - it gives plenty of room and that plastic fan pushes crazy amounts of air.

So, to those of you who are thinking about putting in a stroked 351, I say "Go for it!".

Thanks for the help, everyone!

:D

Eric

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Great to hear - there is a thread on Pirate where a guy mounted a PS pump off the Explorer bracket where the A/C pump would have sat. I've got a PSC pump in my Explorer brackets and my hood tore the cap off my reservoir (no body lift) and I've not been able to find one - not to mention I either need to swap pumps or get a better reservoir (I'm thinking reservoir, but moving the pump would also be wise as well).